Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:25 pm 

A Cornell University student died Friday of complications related to H1N1 swine flu.

Warren Schor, 20, was identified as the student who died by a university official. Schor was in the university's agriculture and life sciences program according to the Cornell web site.

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20 ... plications

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:31 pm 

Warren Schor ’11 died on Friday from complications relating to H1N1 influenza, according to the University. Schor, 20, was being treated at Cayuga Medical Center.

In an e-mail to members of the Cornell community President David Skorton wrote: “We wish to convey our heartfelt condolences to them and to his many friends. Please keep them in your thoughts in the following days.”

On Wednesday, University health officials said that approximately 450 Cornell students had been diagnosed by Gannett Health Services with probable H1N1 influenza. Cornell’s Inter-Fraternity Council has also placed a seven-day moratorium on fraternity social events in an effort to curb the spread of the flu across campus.

On Wednesday, University health officials said that approximately 450 Cornell students had been diagnosed by Gannett Health Services with probable H1N1 influenza. Cornell’s Inter-Fraternity Council has also placed a seven-day moratorium on fraternity social events in an effort to curb the spread of the flu across campus.

Ithaca College’s health center has diagnosed some 18 students there with probable H1N1 influenza, The Ithacan reported on Thursday.

http://cornellsun.com/section/news/cont ... plications

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:39 pm 

Dear members of the Cornell community:

It is with deepest sadness and regret that I inform you of the loss of one of our students today at Cayuga Medical Center. Warren J. Schor, 20, died of complications related to H1N1 influenza. The university has been in close contact with Warren's family, and we wish to convey our heartfelt condolences to them and to his many friends. Please keep them in your thoughts in the following days.

We ask everyone to be alert to the risks related to certain underlying health conditions and the more severe symptoms that should trigger prompt consultation with your health care provider. Students, if you have concerns about your health please contact Gannett Health Services by phone 24/7 (255-5155). I urge all members of our caring community to follow, for your own health and for others, the flu prevention and public health recommendations we have been promoting.

Counseling and support services are available to all members of the Cornell community. Students can reach Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) on campus by calling 255-5155. The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) is available 24/7 by calling 800-327-2255 and selecting option 1. For Cornell United Religious Work (CURW), call 255-4214.

Please check the flu-info site (cornell.edu/flu) for updates on H1N1 flu, and use our flu phone line (607-255-0101) and flu-info (flu-info@cornell.edu) mailbox with questions and concerns you may have.

David Skorton

http://www.cornell.edu/statements/2009/ ... cement.cfm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:23 pm 

http://www.facebook.com/people/Warren-Schor/1380060164

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:45 pm 

Yes, I am sure the school is deeply saddened by the death. They may even refund the kids tuition to the child's parents to repay them for his death. Make you want to barf!!!! :banghead:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:08 pm 

— A 20-year-old Cornell University student has died of complications of the H1N1 virus, university officials confirmed today.

Warren J. Schor, a member of the Zeta Beta Tau fraternity who was living at the fraternity house on Edgecliff Place on North Campus, died today at Cayuga Medical Center. Schor, of Clinton Corners, Dutchess County, was a student in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, according to Cornell’s online directory.

The campus has dealt with a flood of incidences of the disease but no deaths until now. As of today, the school’s health service had reported dealing with more than 520 cases, many of which have been students calling in from home, Vice President for Communications Tommy Bruce said.

“One of things I wanted to say is to reassure everyone that Cornell has been working really hard at this issue,” Bruce said today. “We have been prepping for a pandemic for three years, and since this season has come around, we’ve been working around the clock.”

All flu cases that are identified currently are assumed to be H1N1, since the seasonal flu is not known to be circulating this early in the season.

Zeta Beta Tau, an historically Jewish fraternity, could not be reached today for comment.
Cornell President David Skorton released a statement this evening informing the campus and media of Schor’s death.

“The university has been in close contact with Warren’s family, and we wish to convey our heartfelt condolences to them and to his many friends,” Skorton said. “Please keep them in your thoughts in the following days.”

At Cornell, the InterFraternity Council earlier this week enacted a seven-day moratorium on all parties, hoping to stem the rate of occurrences of the illness. The Cornell Daily Sun, the student newspaper, published a letter to the editor today from two Cornell administrators, Vice President for Student and Academic Services Susan Murphy and Dean of Students Kent Hubbell, applauding the move as a “reasonable response.”

Tompkins County Health Department Director Alice Cole said the real problem at parties is not the gathering of people together but the drinking games that students often play, in which they share drinking and eating utensils.

(2 of 2)

“The message that we continue to promote is to promote healthy behaviors,” Cole said.

Cole said that compared to the number of cases of H1N1 being contracted, the number of people dying from it are very low.

“Most people get a very mild form of the disease, it progresses and they get better,” she said.

Those most at risk for complications may have another condition, such as asthma, kidney disease, or may be pregnant, she said.

Ithaca College has reported more than 25 cases identified by the Hammond Health Center, and Tompkins-Cortland Community College has also reported incidences, according to Ithaca College and the Tompkins County Health Department.

One U.S. college, Washington State University’s Pullman campus, had more than 2,500 phone and in-person contacts with students complaining of flu-like symptoms over a period of about 10 days at the beginning of the semester. However, no deaths have been reported.

Those who are ill should consider getting medical attention if they have a temperature more than 100 degrees, or experience difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, sudden dizziness, pain or pressure in the chest, a change in their level of consciousness, or severe or persistent vomiting.

“The message that we continue to promote is to promote healthy behaviors,” Cole said.

Cole said that compared to the number of cases of H1N1 being contracted, the number of people dying from it are very low.

“Most people get a very mild form of the disease, it progresses and they get better,” she said.

Those most at risk for complications may have another condition, such as asthma, kidney disease, or may be pregnant, she said.

Ithaca College has reported more than 25 cases identified by the Hammond Health Center, and Tompkins-Cortland Community College has also reported incidences, according to Ithaca College and the Tompkins County Health Department.

One U.S. college, Washington State University’s Pullman campus, had more than 2,500 phone and in-person contacts with students complaining of flu-like symptoms over a period of about 10 days at the beginning of the semester. However, no deaths have been reported.

Those who are ill should consider getting medical attention if they have a temperature more than 100 degrees, or experience difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, sudden dizziness, pain or pressure in the chest, a change in their level of consciousness, or severe or persistent vomiting.

ELAWYER@Gannett.com

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... es+of+H1N1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:24 pm 

I think this young man had underlying conditions. They will not discuss, but I bet if he did not it would be all over the news.
College Students think this cannot happen to them. I guess if enough of them die they will pay attention. The kids are so independent these days. Well, if they are old enough to vote, go to military, then take your brains and read what the hell is going on.
I feel bad, but when I read statements from students that say, oh it is not that bad, or we are growing tails, or I should have not have drank off that glass. Then, oh well.
I am sick of their attitudes. I have kids that have the same attitudes and get mad when I tell them to wash their hands and take precautions. They just laugh. Well the last laugh will be on them and it will kill me, but I tried.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:02 pm 

ms4920 wrote:
I think this young man had underlying conditions. They will not discuss, but I bet if he did not it would be all over the news.
College Students think this cannot happen to them. I guess if enough of them die they will pay attention. The kids are so independent these days. Well, if they are old enough to vote, go to military, then take your brains and read what the hell is going on.
I feel bad, but when I read statements from students that say, oh it is not that bad, or we are growing tails, or I should have not have drank off that glass. Then, oh well.
I am sick of their attitudes. I have kids that have the same attitudes and get mad when I tell them to wash their hands and take precautions. They just laugh. Well the last laugh will be on them and it will kill me, but I tried.

The news actually goes the other way on underlying conditions. Thus, minor underlying conditions which probably have little to do with the death are mentioned in press releases. The absence of any mention of underlying conditions likely means there were none (or at least none that have been indentified thus far).

Last edited by niman on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:23 pm 

niman wrote:
ms4920 wrote:

The news actually goes the other way on underlying conditions. Thus, minor underlying conditions which probably had little to do with the death are mentioned in press relases. The absence of any mention of underlying conditions likely means there were none (or at least none that have been indemtified thus far).

Dr. Niman, I am having a very hard time with this. I am so sad about all these deaths. They are so young. I guess I am trying to find a reason to substantiate their deaths to make me feel better. I know it is not good. I hope all of us do ok. We all have children and that is my biggest concern. I have lived a good life, but I want the same for my kids. Thank you for all your hard work. It is just a bit overwhelming.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:35 am 

ms4920 wrote:
niman wrote:
ms4920 wrote:

The news actually goes the other way on underlying conditions. Thus, minor underlying conditions which probably have little to do with the death are mentioned in press releases. The absence of any mention of underlying conditions likely means there were none (or at least none that have been indentified thus far).

Dr. Niman, I am having a very hard time with this. I am so sad about all these deaths. They are so young. I guess I am trying to find a reason to substantiate their deaths to make me feel better. I know it is not good. I hope all of us do ok. We all have children and that is my biggest concern. I have lived a good life, but I want the same for my kids. Thank you for all your hard work. It is just a bit overwhelming.

Yes, this is a difficult subjects for most parents, and unfortunately will almost certainly get worse before it gets better. There was a wave of deaths in soutehrn schools, which started in early August, and there will soon be a wave of cases in studnets who recently returned to school.

The swine flu is quite dangerous, even though the vast majority of current cases are mild (and the number of mild cases, especially those without fever, is orders of magnitude higher than confirmed cases). This virus not only can efficiently transmit in humans, but still can transmit in swine and birds, so it is likely to change and evade current immune response in those infected or vaccinated, and that change could be for the worse.

In 1918 the H1N1 virus was almost 50/50 on human and swine changes, and this one, which right now is almost exclsuively swine, could significantly adapt to its new human host and cause greater problems.