Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please only post reports here for these countries: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 130  Next
 Post subject: Re: UK
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:00 pm 

stephensons wrote:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/01/09/flu-strikes-16-000-nhs-staff-115875-22836958/

Quote:
Flu strikes 16,000 NHS staff
By Nick Owens 9/01/2011

More than 16,000 doctors, nurses and NHS workers were off with flu-related illnesses yesterday in a staff crisis that is costing the NHS £12million a week

(me, I presume they mean Fri the 7th??)

And 71,900 sick days were lost in the past week alone.

The figures from First Data emerged as it was revealed that just one in five nurses opted for the flu jab this winter.

The low uptake has led to further criticism of the Government's handling of the swine-flu epidemic which has killed 50 people.

There is no way that all of these NHS staff were not vaccinated earlier. Of all the people who would be most inclined to take the jab, they would be far more inclined than the general public.

If this alone isn't anecdotal evidence of vaccine escape, I don't know what would be.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:28 pm 

stephensons wrote:
http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156569&page=11

:hello: NS1 via FT

Quote:
The UK Health Protection Agency released a group of 37 sequences at GISAID dated 2010-01-05 that appeared sometime after that date. Some of the sequences in this deposit also appear on the Figure 3 Phylogenetic Tree from the HPA Eurosurveilance paper requested to be cited as:

Ellis J, Galiano M, Pebody R, Lackenby A, Thompson C, Bermingham A, McLean E, Zhao H, Bolotin S, Dar O, Watson JM, Zambon M. Virological analysis of fatal influenza cases in the United Kingdom during the early wave of influenza in winter 2010/11. Euro Surveill. 2011;16(1):pii=19760.
Available online:
http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArt ... leId=19760
Date of submission: 31 December 2010

The science community expected a full deposit to back the paper, but not all sequences noted on the phylogenetic table were in place at GISAIS as of this 2nd deposit.

The recent GISAID deposit added 4 of the fatalities noted on the phylogenetic tree to the 4 fatalities previously released on 2010-12-20. The previously released sequences were not marked at GISAID with a fatality notation, but now have been notated as "Deceased" as of yesterday. Oddly enough, on the 2010-01-05 deposit, none of the sequences notated as fatal on the phylogenetic tree were marked as to outcome at GISAID?

None of the sequences at the GISAID database that correspond to notated fatalities on the Eurosurveillance paper carry the severity marker of HA 225G.

225G is found on identical HA sequences noted as 2 severe cases.

UKEngland4880378_2010_12
UKEngland4940476_2010_12

The two sequences fall on a 100N, 188T, syn338G, 377K with 454N background. Appended to that background is a silent 179L previously found in US military sequences and as a regional marker in an alternate coding. A silent 448L completes the 225G sequences and is demonstrated in at least on fatal case, including in Russia.

. . . . UKEngland4940476_2010_12 (
. . . . . . . . 100N,
. . . . . . . . syn179L (CTg) [Regional Marker 2009 (tTA)]
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [TexasAF2588_2009_10_04,
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . TexasJMS404_2010_01_08],
. . . . . . . . 188T,
. . . . . . . . 225G,
. . . . . . . . syn338G,
. . . . . . . . 377K,
. . . . . . . . syn448L [Yakutsk_EAV_2009_11_18,
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Yaroslavl_CHMV_2009_11_10_f with 224K & 225G mix],
. . . . . . . . 454N)

. . . . UKEngland4880378_2010_12 (
. . . . . . . . 100N,
. . . . . . . . syn179L,
. . . . . . . . 188T,
. . . . . . . . 225G,
. . . . . . . . syn338G,
. . . . . . . . 377K,
. . . . . . . . syn448L,
. . . . . . . . 454N)

http://GeneWurx.com

Independent Primary Research on Viral Genetics and the
Host-Pathogen Immune Dynamics of Zoonotic Influenza Reservoirs

I produced a variant of Ellis et al phylogenetic tree picture replacing original SNP numbering labels by the more common H3 numbering.
This numbering is widely adopted in the literature, including the quoted NS1 post.
Attachment:
Elis_et_al_Phylogenetic_Tree_HA3_2c.jpg
Elis_et_al_Phylogenetic_Tree_HA3_2c.jpg [ 85.31 KiB | Viewed 1320 times ]

The above picture is preliminary. To access the original paper picture, check the original article available online:

Ellis J, Galiano M, Pebody R, Lackenby A, Thompson C, Bermingham A, McLean E, Zhao H, Bolotin S, Dar O, Watson JM, Zambon M.
Virological analysis of fatal influenza cases in the United Kingdom during the early wave of influenza in winter 2010/11.
Euro Surveill. 2011; 16:pii=19760.
Available online: http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArt ... leId=19760
Date of submission: 31 December 2010

NOTE: Previous reference updated 27 January 2011:

Ellis J, Galiano M, Pebody R, Lackenby A, Thompson C, Bermingham A, McLean E, Zhao H, Bolotin S, Dar O, Watson JM, Zambon M.
Authors’ reply. Virological analysis of fatal influenza cases in the United Kingdom during the early wave of influenza in winter 2010/11.
Euro Surveill. 2011;16(4):pii=19773.
Available online: http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArt ... leId=19773
Date of submission: 27 January 2011

Last edited by neuromedia on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:22 pm 

My son and I 'alledgedly' had it (last 09'), he (being special needs) had last years Jab and this years 'seasonal' jab but we both had something 'awful' 2 weeks before Christmas. My family (extended) all caught 'versions' of what we had (though we used barrier techniques and I wore a mask whilst amongst them.tending him. His carers also caught it with 1 needing a pnumonia jab and another a long course of anti-bio's to clear his chest up.

The lack of testing means we won't know who has what so it's hard to say if folk 'vaccinated' have H1N1?

I worry that last years 'splurge' in vaccinations (for a single virus) meant the virus had to mutate to survive (we applied natural selection to a 'mild virus').

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:27 pm 

Gray-Wolf wrote:

I worry that last years 'splurge' in vaccinations (for a single virus) meant the virus had to mutate to survive (we applied natural selection to a 'mild virus').

Here here!, 1 month of something unkillable in my lungs this year. 6 weeks for my little guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:17 pm 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/flu/8 ... meron.html

Quote:
GPs could be stripped of flu vaccine ordering powers, hints Cameron

GPs could be stripped of their powers to order flu vaccines after this season's problems over shortages, the Prime Minister indicated yesterday (SUN).

By Stephen Adams, Medical Correspondent 5:13PM GMT 09 Jan 2011

The matter needed to be looked at because Britain could be hit by "significant outbreaks" in future winters, Mr Cameron said.

His comments come after widespread problems throughout England emerged last week in obtaining the seasonal flu vaccine.

The situation south of the border is in contrast to that in Scotland, where the Scottish government orders a back-up supply. It currently has a small surplus.

Mr Cameron admitted that there were "some shortages in some places", only days after the Department of Health had insisted that there was "no national shortage".

He conceded it was "very important that we learn the lessons" from this season's outbreak, which is known to have claimed the lives of 50 people so far. Thirteen of the victims have been under 15 years of age and all but four have been under 65.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:25 pm 

We (in the UK) may have weathered the storm (?) but through it's time here we must have placed pressures on it (again) to move away from the 09' vaccine??

Plenty of W. Europe/Central Europe/Near East/Far East/USA to go and see more 'consolidation in the type that is side-stepping the 'old' vaccine?

Whatever the 'nasty bit' of it was from last year this seems to still be in the virus but this year more of 'young, fit' folk seem to be falling foul to this than last year (faster impacting?) and maybe these folk are really feeling a 'bout of Flu' for the first time?

Sadly some of these 'healthy folk' are so rapidly impacted that things can go 'bad' .Maybe the 18-45yrs olds had better act 'sooner' if they feel 'iller' than they've ever felt before (and get the anti-virals?) rather than try to 'tough it out' and scare the pants off everyone around you should you end up needing hospital??? (even if you feel a whimp for 'taking action early'?).
And if you've not had something 'horrid' this winter then avoid coughs and sneezes and keep you're hands clean!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:35 am 

Obviously these guys dont want any regional centres shooting there national numbers in the foot.

Remember how high that wales hospital death rate was. I think that was 12 when the national total was 37 deaths .

Well we can't have that. It makes us look rather stupid and remember DONT PANIC. Love HPA.

''Health bosses have been slammed for trying to keep secret details of swine flu deaths across the region.

MPs and patient groups have blasted the gag which stops local health trusts revealing the number of victims, and the area they are from.

It comes as the region bears the brunt of this winter’s outbreak, with at least 12 deaths in Greater Manchester and Macclesfield, out of 50 nationally''

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... oll_secret

Last edited by cpg on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:56 am 

Just read that report (and comment) and it's a worry. Between Christmas and New Year I'd got a tally (from media reports) of at least 68 only to find the 'National' figure being 50???

The other concern is the overall death rate, the plunge from wk49 to wk50 looks 'odd'. I think things may not be what they appear? I have another person I know filling me in on a son in ICU (oxygenating machine) from a cold (to pnumonia) that went from nothing to ICU in 2 days? Fit and healthy (no UHC's) one day, ICU the next. Surely I can't just know lot's of unlucky folk???

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:13 am 

Gray-Wolf wrote:
Just read that report (and comment) and it's a worry. Between Christmas and New Year I'd got a tally (from media reports) of at least 68 only to find the 'National' figure being 50???

The other concern is the overall death rate, the plunge from wk49 to wk50 looks 'odd'. I think things may not be what they appear? I have another person I know filling me in on a son in ICU (oxygenating machine) from a cold (to pnumonia) that went from nothing to ICU in 2 days? Fit and healthy (no UHC's) one day, ICU the next. Surely I can't just know lot's of unlucky folk???

The death data is clearly being withheld and being selectively released to be almost exclusively from cases with underlying conditions, which is unlucky for everyone and not limited to those in the UK.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:02 am 

Hi niman! in the UK there is a 'political' element to this so until we have 'fact's' as to the severity (in some) of this years 'version' I can see why our 'Cut ,cut, cut,' Govt. may feel a little shady about folk's on trolly's in corridors, cancelled operations and full wards?

If we DO have a mutation that is acting more like the 1918/19 virus (striking young/fit folk hardest) I think our Govt. may embrace it as a cover for their tinkerings in the health service??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 130  Next