Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please only post reports here for these countries: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 130  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: UK
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:22 pm
Posts: 5184
Location: East of London
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-11988986

Doesn't mention their ages. The 10 deaths previously mentioned just might be the tip of the iceburg......

Two men with swine flu die at Royal Oldham Hospital

Quote:
Two men have died at the Royal Oldham Hospital after contracting swine flu, it has been confirmed.

NHS Oldham said the patients, who were both from the town, had underlying illnesses.

Alan Higgins, director of public health for Oldham, said swine flu was a factor in the deaths of both men.

He refused to release any other information about the patients, including when they died, saying he had to protect patient confidentiality................

_________________
Praemonitus, Praemunitus..Forewarned is Forearmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UK
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:22 pm
Posts: 5184
Location: East of London
http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top- ... -27819469/

Swine Flu on rise in Midlands

Quote:
Swine Flu on rise in Midlands
Dec 14 2010
by Alison Dayani, Birmingham Mail
Add a commentRecommend SWINE flu is re-emerging across the region with 37 H1N1 cases reported in just one week.

Pregnant women, the elderly and patients with chronic conditions are most at risk and being warned to get free flu jabs, which this year include swine flu protection.

The first week of December saw the West Midlands report 37 swine flu cases, which is expected to be dominant following the epidemic last year, and six flu B.

Dr Jeremy Hawker, from the Health Protection Agency, said: “We have seen patients requiring hospitalisation and flu outbreaks in schools.”



_________________
Praemonitus, Praemunitus..Forewarned is Forearmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UK
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:22 pm
Posts: 5184
Location: East of London
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/8 ... s_concern/

Quote:
Surge in serious cases of flu causes concern


Quote:
6:30am Tuesday 14th December 2010

HEALTH bosses say they are extremely concerned at the number of people being admitted to hospital with serious complications from flu.

A surge in numbers in the past two weeks – including patients who are critically ill – has led to a fresh appeal to people most at risk to be vaccinated against flu.

The warning comes as temperatures are expected to plummet again towards the end of the week
.

Dr Tricia Cresswell, deputy medical director at NHS North-East, said: “We are urging all those at risk – especially pregnant women – to get the vaccine as a matter of urgency.”

This year’s flu vaccine protects against three seasonal viruses, including the H1N1 virus, which caused the swine flu pandemic last year and which is still circulating this winter.

All expectant mothers who have not previously been protected from swine flu need to receive the free seasonal flu vaccine to protect themselves and their babies.

Dr Cresswell said: “Christmas is a busy time of year, but the threat of flu is still very real.

“It is preventable, yet it continues to kill people in the region every year, so it is crucial that people who are at risk protect themselves.”

In the North-East, there are about 800,000 people at risk from flu, including health and social care staff and pregnant women.

All those aged 65 and over and people with a long-term health problem or a weakened immune system are also regarded as being at risk.

Health bosses in North Yorkshire have issued a similar appeal.

■ It is expected to turn much colder again from Thursday lunchtime and remain so for at least four or five days, forecasters say.

Matt Dobson, a forecaster with Meteo Group UK, said rain on Thursday was expected to turn to snow.

He said: “Most places will see at least some snow falling for a short time, although the worst of the snow should be in the West thanks to northwesterly winds, so any snow in the North-East may not be as heavy as it has been recently.”


_________________
Praemonitus, Praemunitus..Forewarned is Forearmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UK
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:22 pm
Posts: 5184
Location: East of London
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... ur_flu_jab

Quote:
...............In April, it emerged that the NHS was left with a stockpile of 34m unused doses of swine flu vaccine, valued at upwards of £100m. Better that, though, than a serious underestimate of the doses needed.



:sigh:

_________________
Praemonitus, Praemunitus..Forewarned is Forearmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UK
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:22 pm
Posts: 5184
Location: East of London
http://frenchtribune.com/teneur/102454- ... -year-year

Experts fear major swine flu attack this year-on-year

Quote:
Experts fear major swine flu attack this year-on-year
Submitted by Annabel Tautou on Tue, 12/14/2010 - 06:13

Experts have warned that there is going to be major swine flu attack this season. And as per the current signs it is going to be deadlier than what was expected earlier.............................While the experts have shown their surprise on the death toll during such early stages of this season, there is no denying that the situation is worse than it was last year. Now, they are urging the people to take vaccine and also be in close proximity to preventive medicines.

What is more confusing in this case is the fact, that during this time, the number of normal seasonal flu cases has gone up too. And that is the reason why the country has been put on a 'health high red alert'.
Besides that the doctors and the pharmacy companies and pharmacies have been asked to report any and every kind of symptoms that point to the direction of this kind. They are fever, cough, headache and extreme fatigue.


Maybe the Daily Mail were correct yesterday about the country being on 'high alert'.? Haven't turned on the news here yet today.

_________________
Praemonitus, Praemunitus..Forewarned is Forearmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UK
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:14 pm
Posts: 548
Flu fear cases push hospital to the limit

8:30am Tuesday 14th December 2010



HEALTH services in Bolton are being swamped with patients, many of them experiencing flulike symptoms which do not need to treated by medical staff.

Residents are now being urged to think carefully before going to the accident and emergency department at the Royal Bolton Hospital.

Services across the town have reported being “very busy” over the weekend and into yesterday.

Royal Bolton Hospital’s casualty department saw 150 people yesterday morning, compared to the usual 50.

The Lever Chambers walk-in centre saw double the number of patients over the weekend and one GP surgery reported three times the normal number of calls to the out-of-hours service over the weekend.

Calls to the practice quadrupled yesterday morning.


Large numbers of people have been complaining of flu and health chiefs are issuing advice.

Andrew Cogan, director of operations at the Royal Bolton, said: “We are very busy and while we do have patients who are seriously ill or have been involved in an accident, we have also seen a large number arrive who don’t need to come to us.

“For the vast majority of normally healthy adults, flu-like symptom, while unpleasant, do not need hospital care.

“A well-stocked medicine cabinet can deal with most minor ailments and injuries. If people need further advice they should call NHS Direct, go to their chemist, walk-in centre, minor injuries unit or speak to their GP or out of hours GP service rather than going to A&E.”

Health workers across Bolton are working together during the surge in demand.

The hospital has opened an additional temporary assessment area and community and social services staff are trying to ensure patients are in the right place.

Non-urgent operations have been postponed until tomorrow at the earliest, affecting about 40 patients.

Health bosses are urging eligible people to have the flu jab, and are asking everyone to practise good hand hygiene.

Anyone with flu and stomach bugs should not visit people in hospital.

Source: http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/ ... the_limit/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UK
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
WHO region center in New Zealand/Australia just released a larger series of pH1N1 and H3N2 sequences from the summer of 2010.

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UK
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:22 pm
Posts: 5184
Location: East of London
CopitoSP wrote:
Flu fear cases push hospital to the limit

8:30am Tuesday 14th December 2010



HEALTH services in Bolton are being swamped with patients, many of them experiencing flulike symptoms which do not need to treated by medical staff.

Residents are now being urged to think carefully before going to the accident and emergency department at the Royal Bolton Hospital.

Services across the town have reported being “very busy” over the weekend and into yesterday.

Royal Bolton Hospital’s casualty department saw 150 people yesterday morning, compared to the usual 50.

The Lever Chambers walk-in centre saw double the number of patients over the weekend and one GP surgery reported three times the normal number of calls to the out-of-hours service over the weekend.

Calls to the practice quadrupled yesterday morning.


Large numbers of people have been complaining of flu and health chiefs are issuing advice.

Andrew Cogan, director of operations at the Royal Bolton, said: “We are very busy and while we do have patients who are seriously ill or have been involved in an accident, we have also seen a large number arrive who don’t need to come to us.

“For the vast majority of normally healthy adults, flu-like symptom, while unpleasant, do not need hospital care.

“A well-stocked medicine cabinet can deal with most minor ailments and injuries. If people need further advice they should call NHS Direct, go to their chemist, walk-in centre, minor injuries unit or speak to their GP or out of hours GP service rather than going to A&E.”

Health workers across Bolton are working together during the surge in demand.

The hospital has opened an additional temporary assessment area and community and social services staff are trying to ensure patients are in the right place.

Non-urgent operations have been postponed until tomorrow at the earliest, affecting about 40 patients.

Health bosses are urging eligible people to have the flu jab, and are asking everyone to practise good hand hygiene.

Anyone with flu and stomach bugs should not visit people in hospital.

Source: http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/ ... the_limit/


I don't usually use profanity, but OMFG.....it certainly is unpredictable, we know that...... The British have got to 'sit up, wake up and take their bloody head out of the sand'.....I feel very eery.....won't be long til it hits London (pop approx 7 million). Am 30 odd miles out of London. 2 more weeks til the kids break up for Xmas....

_________________
Praemonitus, Praemunitus..Forewarned is Forearmed.


Last edited by stephensons on Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UK
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:22 pm
Posts: 5184
Location: East of London
niman wrote:
WHO region center in New Zealand/Australia just released a larger series of pH1N1 and H3N2 sequences from the summer of 2010.


They should be interesting. Those in 'ivory towers' in Atlanta will certainly be watching this forum. Can just feel it....

_________________
Praemonitus, Praemunitus..Forewarned is Forearmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UK
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:14 pm
Posts: 548
niman wrote:
WHO region center in New Zealand/Australia just released a larger series of pH1N1 and H3N2 sequences from the summer of 2010.


I can't see them.

May you open a thread where all of us can see references and your commentaries?

Thank you!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 130  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group