Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:26 pm 

:scratch: Cluster of Deaths Following Flu-Like Symptoms in Calvert County

The Calvert County Health Department is investigating a cluster of deaths following flu-like symptoms in the Lusby area.

Five members of a family living one mile south of the Calvert Cliffs nuclear power plant were hospitalized over the last two weeks, with flu-like symptoms described as "severe respiratory illnesses." Four of those family members died.
The department recommends people with flu-like symptoms like fever, cough, or sore throat contact their doctors to see if they would benefit from antiviral or other medications. Currently, county health officials are not advising any specific preventive measures.

CCHD sent a message to area residents to say it was working together with health care providers to monitor the situation, but the cause of the illness has not been confirmed.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local ... 60013.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:31 pm 

Calvert County deaths linked to flu-like symptoms

Health officials are urging people with flu-like symptoms to consult a doctor after four people in the Lusby area with severe respiratory illnesses died.

The Calvert County Health Department says a total of five people – including a Calvert County family of four - have been hospitalized with the illness in recent weeks. The family lived about a mile south of a power plant.

Health officials say the cause of the illness has not been confirmed, but testing is underway.

In a statement released Tuesday morning, the department says they "will continue to work with the health care providers and others on this situation and will update Calvert County residents if new information important to their health becomes available.”

Health officials recommend that people with flu-like symptoms - fever, cough and/or sore throat - seek medical help for antivirals or other medications.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/03/ca ... 73419.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:40 pm 

Health Alert: Four Deaths Reported in Calvert County

Calvert County Health Department (CCHD) is aware of a cluster of severe respiratory illnesses in five (Lusby area), including four members of a Calvert County family, residing approximately a mile south of the power plant. All five were hospitalized over the last two weeks. Four of the five have died of their illnesses.

The cause of these illnesses has not been completely confirmed at this time, although much testing is underway. At this time, there is no information that indicates special preventive measures, like antibiotics, are needed for family or other close contacts of the patients; however CCHD will continue to work with the healthcare providers and others on this situation and will update Calvert County residents if new information important to their health becomes available.

In the meantime, we continue to recommend that people ill with influenza-like illnesses (fever and cough or sore throat) check in with their healthcare provider to be evaluated and see if they would benefit from antiviral or other medications.

DAVID L. ROGERS, MD MPH
HEALTH OFFICER

http://smnewsnet.com/archives/10857

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:54 pm 

USA - 3 familial deaths, 1 hospitalized due to respiratory illness confirmed by Calvert County Health Dept Maryland

"I just called the health dept and the secretary told me that 3 total have died - the elderly lady and 2 of her children".
http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showth ... p?p=445422

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:01 pm 

PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CALVERT COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT

DAVID L. ROGERS, MD MPH HEALTH OFFICER

CONTACT INFORMATION: 410-535-5400

March 6, 2012

This is a case of an elderly woman living in a rural setting in the Lusby area. She became sick on or about February 23, 2012, with upper respiratory symptoms, at her home. She was cared for at home by three of her children, a son and two daughters. They developed similar upper respiratory symptoms on or about February 28, 2012. They were all hospitalized and became critically ill and two have subsequently died. One caregiver is currently at the Washington Hospital Center. This appears to be confined to a single family and there is no reason to believe, at this time, that others have been infected with this illness.

http://www.calverthealth.org/index.htm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:13 pm 

niman wrote:
PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CALVERT COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT

DAVID L. ROGERS, MD MPH HEALTH OFFICER

CONTACT INFORMATION: 410-535-5400

March 6, 2012

This is a case of an elderly woman living in a rural setting in the Lusby area. She became sick on or about February 23, 2012, with upper respiratory symptoms, at her home. She was cared for at home by three of her children, a son and two daughters. They developed similar upper respiratory symptoms on or about February 28, 2012. They were all hospitalized and became critically ill and two have subsequently died. One caregiver is currently at the Washington Hospital Center. This appears to be confined to a single family and there is no reason to believe, at this time, that others have been infected with this illness.

http://www.calverthealth.org/index.htm

No information beyond what is posted on the website and no projection on timing of next update.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:23 pm 

Health officials are urging people with flu-like symptoms to consult a doctor after four people in the Lusby area with severe respiratory illnesses died.

Continue reading

14 Comments
Post a comment

The Calvert County Health Department says a total of three people have died. The victims were all related and lived in the Rousby Hall Road neighborhood in Lusby. Pneumonia is the likely cause of death.

The first patient, an 83-year-old woman, became sick on Feb. 23. Three of her children, a son and two daughters all in their 50s, arrived on Feb. 28 to take care of her.

The mother died on March 1. One daughter, 56, and her son, 58, both died on Monday while a third daughter, 51, remains at Wash Hospital Center in critical condition.

Health officials say the cause of the illness has not been confirmed, Environmental testing on the house will be done.

In a statement released Tuesday morning, the department says they "will continue to work with the health care providers and others on this situation and will update Calvert County residents if new information important to their health becomes available.”

Health officials recommend that people with flu-like symptoms - fever, cough and/or sore throat - seek medical help for antivirals or other medications.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:24 pm 

The Truth

Mar 06, 2012 - 11:29:29 AM

Hmmmm- A mile down from a Nuclear Power Plant...Hmmmmm, need more information...has anyone done any testing? Air, Land, Water? Privately??
Good point (4)
report abuse

Answer

Mar 06, 2012 - 11:33:20 AM

Power plant has nothing to do with it. They also live a mile from a natural gas plant and 3 miles from a naval air station. Quit with the conspiracy theory.
Good point (3)
report abuse

More Questions

Mar 06, 2012 - 11:36:23 AM

That actually raises more questions. Respiratory illnesses are often linked to airborne environmental pollutants, and as you have pointed out, these people live very close to 3 installations that create airborne environmental pollutants.
Good point (2)
report abuse

Final Answer

Mar 06, 2012 - 11:47:41 AM

The onesillnesses to be afraid of are viral, which have nothing to do with the surrounding facilities you speak of.
Good point (0)
report abuse

Rich Green

Mar 06, 2012 - 11:42:03 AM

I would like to know why a lay person felt it necessary to mention the proximity of a power station, especially when a diagnosis has not been determined and while the medical community has advised that causality has not yet been determined either. I am wondering if this was a literary liberty taken by the author or was this intimated by someone who is involved with the investigation mearly speaking off the cuff. I for one would have eliminated that comment as an editor for the simple reason that it is inconsequential at this point in the evaluative stage of determining a medically valid cause of the sickness.
Good point (4)
report abuse

want clean air

Mar 06, 2012 - 12:20:26 PM

Chalk point was on the top ten list of most polluting plants in the US with Nitrogen oxide which is linked to respiratory illness. Makes you wonder but than again I have had a sinus problem since Jan and am not getting better even with meds.
Good point (0)
report abuse

gh

Mar 06, 2012 - 11:50:55 AM

Shame on all u liberal quacks
Good point (0)
report abuse

The Truth

Mar 06, 2012 - 11:52:54 AM

Naaaa, No Conspiracy Theorists here...always open to ALL possible causes... Symptoms and of Radiation Pneumonitis It is important to be aware of radiation pneumonitis, because symptoms can be very similar to those caused by lung cancer alone, or can be mistaken for an infection such as pneumonia. Common symptoms include: Shortness of breath that is usually more notable with exercise Chest pain, especially that which worsens with breathing Cough Low-grade fever In some cases, no symptoms are present, and radiation pneumonitis is found by its appearance on a chest x-ray alone.
Good point (1)
report abuse

Agree

Mar 06, 2012 - 11:53:02 AM

I think maybe it was mentioned stricly for the fact of the location of the home of the 4 family members. Reality is though, people in Calvert County knows where Lusby is. I am actually wondering something else. A little over a week ago a teenager from Calvert High School died. Prior to his death (which I believe was due to possible asthma attack, but not sure) it was clearly stated he had a Upper Respitory Infection for weeks. In fact he only had been back at school for a day (after being out a week) prior to his death. Makes you wonder if the illness is related. I personally know someone that has been fighting something from the Lusby area for about a month now. Been to UC, ER, ENT, Primary Doctor. They all agree she is really sick, put her on TONS of medications, and although she is somewhat better...still not up to par at all. QUIET scary now finding out about this. Wondering if she has been fighting the same virus.
Good point (1)
report abuse

When?

Mar 06, 2012 - 11:53:13 AM

When did Calvert County become part of Virginia?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:25 pm 

I have find a strange commentary here:

10 Responses to Health Alert: Four Deaths Reported in Calvert County

Tammy on March 6, 2012 at 9:45 am
A similar sickness went through our home also. Within 3 weeks my three Children and then my husband who had cough, fever, sore throat Were told that they had pneumonia. We took them to the hospital and they took cultures to check for the flu. They all came back negative. For my one of my daughters and my husband it took two different kinds of antibiotics for them to get better.

info on March 6, 2012 at 11:30 am
Big difference. These people that died apparently went downhill fast and started coughing up blood and then their organs were shutting down. From my understanding it all happened in a matter of 2 days from onset of symptoms. The 5th person is a funeral director that was in contact with the bodies, but I haven’t heard anymore on his condition but after he was in contact with the bodies he soon had a tightness in his chest and trouble breathing. I haven’t heard any update on the funeral directors status since he was hospitalized yesterday afternoon, I’m not certain if he has gone down hill or not. The CDC is monitoring the situation as well and they are working with healthcare providers to try to figure out what is going on and how to treat it. The media obviously didn’t know much about the symptoms thee victims had so i wanted to clear it up a little bit for everyone. It is more than just having a cough and sore throat.

Lets hope thus doesn’t become an epidemic. It really is kind of scary though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:50 pm 

issapharma wrote:
I have find a strange commentary here:

A similar sickness went through our home also. Within 3 weeks my three Children and then my husband who had cough, fever, sore throat Were told that they had pneumonia. We took them to the hospital and they took cultures to check for the flu. They all came back negative. For my one of my daughters and my husband it took two different kinds of antibiotics for them to get better.

Big difference. These people that died apparently went downhill fast and started coughing up blood and then their organs were shutting down. From my understanding it all happened in a matter of 2 days from onset of symptoms. The 5th person is a funeral director that was in contact with the bodies, but I haven’t heard anymore on his condition but after he was in contact with the bodies he soon had a tightness in his chest and trouble breathing. I haven’t heard any update on the funeral directors status since he was hospitalized yesterday afternoon, I’m not certain if he has gone down hill or not. The CDC is monitoring the situation as well and they are working with healthcare providers to try to figure out what is going on and how to treat it. The media obviously didn’t know much about the symptoms thee victims had so i wanted to clear it up a little bit for everyone. It is more than just having a cough and sore throat.

Health Alert: Four Deaths Reported in Calvert County
March 6, 2012

Calvert County Health Department (CCHD) is aware of a cluster of severe respiratory illnesses in five (Lusby area), including four members of a Calvert County family, residing approximately a mile south of the power plant. All five were hospitalized over the last two weeks. Four of the five have died of their illnesses.

The cause of these illnesses has not been completely confirmed at this time, although much testing is underway. At this time, there is no information that indicates special preventive measures, like antibiotics, are needed for family or other close contacts of the patients; however CCHD will continue to work with the healthcare providers and others on this situation and will update Calvert County residents if new information important to their health becomes available.

In the meantime, we continue to recommend that people ill with influenza-like illnesses (fever and cough or sore throat) check in with their healthcare provider to be evaluated and see if they would benefit from antiviral or other medications.

DAVID L. ROGERS, MD MPH
HEALTH OFFICER

Southern Maryland News Net contacted the Calvert County Health Department by phone for clarification and was told that the Health Department has been inundated with inquiries about the unknown, but serious disease. The spokesperson would only confirm the information in the press release and stated that the situation is under active investigation at this time. Dr. David L. Rogers, MD, MPH was unavailable for comment at the time of the call.

New
<
data-action="" data-send="false" data-layout="box_count" data-show-faces="false" class="fb-like" data-href="http://smnewsnet.com/archives/10857">
>

Tags: Calvert County Health Department, CCHD, cough, David L Roger MD, death, disease, fever, health alert, influenza, sore throat

This entry was posted on March 6, 2012 at 8:59 am and is filed under All News, Breaking News, Calvert News, Charles News, Community, County, Rotate Top, St. Mary's News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

Southern MD Alerts on March 6, 2012 at 9:12 am

I love the bottom of this story. Love that you contacted CCHD.

loren on March 6, 2012 at 11:18 am

Have their blood levels checked for Barium,and Arsenic. Chemtrails have been causing this problem. Youtube “chemtrails” and watch what is being dumped over our heads daily
Tammy on March 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

We do not live in Southern Maryland though. We live in Pasadena.
Strawman on March 6, 2012 at 10:54 am

“Residing approximately a mile south of the power plant”…come on. Be at least some what responsible as a journalist.
Suzanne Pucciarella on March 6, 2012 at 11:02 am

These who passed from illness were NOT children. They were in the same house and 4 out of 5 passed away from some sort of “respiratory” illness that they are testing for. I just got off the phone with the Health Dept. They are doing a Blast Fax to all Dr offices and will have more info as it comes in. It will be in the paper tomorrow. The house was tested and they don’t have those results yet.

Debi of Laurel on March 6, 2012 at 11:39 am

The story implies that living close to the Nuclear Plant is somehow a factor. Ever since their Visitor Center closed post 9/11 does anyone besides the NRC have access to operations, safety, etc.? In any event I hope these tragic illnesses can be fully investigated and the families can recover from their grief and sudden loss.
ME on March 6, 2012 at 11:49 am

From BOARD OF ED:
Julie on March 6, 2012 at 12:09 pm

My younger son is on his 2nd antibotics. He is still complaining about his throat hurting. His voice is still hoarse. I am now concerned, about this & will keep up with this as more posts come up. Thank CCHD, 4 calling me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next