Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:39 pm 

Be Well 2 wrote:
niman wrote:

If it is real, it creates more similarities with seasonal H1N1, which had reassortants between to co-circulating sub-clades (Brisbane/59 and Hong Kong/2562) along with recombination between the co-circulating subclades.

What would be the significance of this?

This is all about evolution and the rate of change. There is now more immunity to H1N1 due to prior infections or vaccinations, which puts more selective pressure on the emergence of new clades. This led to the dominance of the S188T sub-clade and the emergence of Chihuahua. This battle leads to more swapping of genetic information and the reassortment demonstrates the swapping between the co-circulating sub-clades. However, the H274Y in Delaware and Maryland is jumping onto multiple sub-clades, so H274Y will be on any one that dominates. Thus, like 2008, Tamiflu resistance will go to 100% in pandemic H1N1, like in 2008 when it went to 100% in seasonal H1N1.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:46 pm 

Thanks again.

From what you know, is any of the H1N1 currently circulating close enough to what was around in 2009/2010 so that previous infection/and or vaxing will help at all?

I'm personally interested due to having had it at least once (and it was horrible) and also for others I inform.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:07 pm 

niman wrote:
For those confused about the reassortment talk and links, a review is in order. WHO issued a pandemic alert for countries in North and South America, citing increased activity in Ecuador, Mexico, and Venezuela. The locatons and timing exactly match the appearance of the Chihuahua sub-clade with D225N.

-snip-

Can someone please advise me ... I have not seen any mention that this pandemic alert has been lifted. Did I miss anything, or is it still in effect? Thanks! -k

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:48 pm 

ReadyMom wrote:
niman wrote:
For those confused about the reassortment talk and links, a review is in order. WHO issued a pandemic alert for countries in North and South America, citing increased activity in Ecuador, Mexico, and Venezuela. The locatons and timing exactly match the appearance of the Chihuahua sub-clade with D225N.

-snip-

Can someone please advise me ... I have not seen any mention that this pandemic alert has been lifted. Did I miss anything, or is it still in effect? Thanks! -k

This pandemic will follow the path of 2009. Most activity is currently in southern hemisphere.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:55 pm 

niman wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:
niman wrote:

-snip-

This pandemic will follow the path of 2009. Most activity is currently in southern hemisphere.

Thanks Dr. Niman. As I thought. And so, 'officially', the alert has not been lifted by WHO. Thanks! -k

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:14 pm 

cpg wrote:
Niman

How long do you think till there is a actual pandemic. Next month or next year.

Lucky for the public that the WHO only issued this weak alert instead a full blown one.

Hey I'm sure this pandemic will come. Just a matter of time. 20 years maybe !!!

I remain yours forever clueless.

CDC is testing a pandemic trH3N2 vaccine

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/08031 ... ccine.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:08 am 

niman wrote:
niman wrote:
Dingo wrote:
Why is the CDC playing these silly games?

WHO also claims D225G and D225N are not important as indicated in comments on Ukraine:

- Preliminary tests reveal no significant changes in the pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus based on investigations of samples taken from patients in Ukraine. Analyses are being performed by two WHO influenza collaborating centres as part of the global influenza surveillance network.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_11_16/en/index.html

Similarly, the said the same thing about Chihuahua:

Thus far, there is no evidence that the influenza strains identified have mutations that confer greater virulence

http://new.paho.org/hq/index.php?option ... temid=2469

CDC PLOS paper on D225G acknowledges enhance replication in human bronchial epithelial cells

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0025091

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:09 am 

gsgs wrote:
as I understand it, COX claims that the escape mutation is _created_
(selected for) when growing
the virus in the lab in that cellculture, while originally it is not present

Utter nonsense

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0025091

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:41 am 

Paper on D225N in US and Ecuador published

Severe disease reported in 3 patients with mutated H1N1
Two cases of pandemic 2009 H1N1 flu with a mutation in the virus's hemagglutinin (HA) earlier this year indicate the mutation may be associated with more severe disease, according to a study in the Journal of Clinical Virology. US researchers reported on two patients from Ecuador and one from Washington, DC, who were infected by a 2009 H1N1 variant with a mutation within the primary HA receptor-binding site. All required mechanical ventilation, and one died. The D222N mutation was confirmed in two of the patients, but all the isolates were found to be from a subclade phylogenetically homologous with strains associated with recent deaths in Chihuahua, Mexico. The authors conclude, "Previously, enhanced virulence associated with the change, D222G, has been clinically linked to severe morbidity and mortality. Initial observations of the prevalence of a novel sub-clade of strains in the Americas suggest that viruses with a re-emergent D222N mutation may too correlate with severe clinical manifestations."
Oct 28 J Clin Virol abstract
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 3211003672

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/conten ... uscan.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21