Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum
http://fluboard.rhizalabs.com/forum/

Swine H3N2 Pandemic aka H3N2pdm11 Pandemic
http://fluboard.rhizalabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6072
Page 12 of 49

Author:  Dingo [ Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swine H3N2 Pandemic

niman wrote:
No, D225G in H3N2 isn't as severe as D225G in H1N1.


Why?

Author:  niman [ Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swine H3N2 Pandemic

Dingo wrote:
niman wrote:
No, D225G in H3N2 isn't as severe as D225G in H1N1.


Why?

Differences in H3 and H1 backgrounds.

Author:  niman [ Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swine H3N2 Pandemic

Commentary

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/11181 ... demic.html

Author:  Jon Schultz [ Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swine H3N2 Pandemic

A few questions, Dr. Niman:

Are you saying that there is likely a pandemic, or that there is definitely a pandemic?

If definitely, are there any indications as to how serious it will be? Can you make any guess as to how many people have been infected to date?

What do you think is going on at the CDC and WHO now?

Author:  niman [ Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swine H3N2 Pandemic

Jon Schultz wrote:
A few questions, Dr. Niman:

Are you saying that there is likely a pandemic, or that there is definitely a pandemic?

If definitely, are there any indications as to how serious it will be? Can you make any guess as to how many people have been infected to date?

What do you think is going on at the CDC and WHO now?

I think that trH3N2 is transmitting it humans. However, this transmission may be slow. Surveillance is poor because detection requires sequencing since H3 and N2 are human. I think the number of positives will rise in the next few weeks, and that should signal how efficient the transmission is.

Author:  Dingo [ Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Swine H3N2 Pandemic

niman wrote:
Dingo wrote:
niman wrote:
No, D225G in H3N2 isn't as severe as D225G in H1N1.


Why?

Differences in H3 and H1 backgrounds.


Thanks

Author:  niman [ Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swine H3N2 Pandemic

H3N2 pandemic discussed tonight at 10 PM EST

http://www.rense.com/about/guests.htm

Author:  littlebird [ Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swine H3N2 Pandemic

Since this novel trH3N2 has an avian PB2 like 2009 H1N1, does that mean it will evade rapid flu tests as readily as H1N1 did? Or Will it be more readily detected?

And, do we know for sure if any of the seasonal H3N2 infections that were reported over this past year were indeed our good ole "seasonal" H3N2 ?

Isn't it unusual for a seasonal influenza to make such an abrupt comeback immediately following a Pandemic? We've been hearing these sporadic H3N2 occurances here and there even in the Summer. I thought that was extremely odd.

If a patient was typed, and the result pointed to Influena A, seasonal H3N2, would anybody do any further sequencing (outside of those few places that do so for surveilance purposes?)

I thought H1N1 flew under the radar... this virus you are talking about will be a total phantom. We don't have the resources to track it, or the money (I'm speaking from a healthcare point of view).

Influenza is learning to evade our testing, our immune response, our vaccines, and NOBODY is treating anything they can't confirm. Clever virus.... :hello:

Author:  niman [ Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swine H3N2 Pandemic

littlebird wrote:
Since this novel trH3N2 has an avian PB2 like 2009 H1N1, does that mean it will evade rapid flu tests as readily as H1N1 did? Or Will it be more readily detected?

And, do we know for sure if any of the seasonal H3N2 infections that were reported over this past year were indeed our good ole "seasonal" H3N2 ?

Isn't it unusual for a seasonal influenza to make such an abrupt comeback immediately following a Pandemic? We've been hearing these sporadic H3N2 occurances here and there even in the Summer. I thought that was extremely odd.

If a patient was typed, and the result pointed to Influena A, seasonal H3N2, would anybody do any further sequencing (outside of those few places that do so for surveilance purposes?)

I thought H1N1 flew under the radar... this virus you are talking about will be a total phantom. We don't have the resources to track it, or the money (I'm speaking from a healthcare point of view).

Influenza is learning to evade our testing, our immune response, our vaccines, and NOBODY is treating anything they can't confirm. Clever virus.... :hello:

It not only has avian PB2, but it also has HA D225G.

Author:  niman [ Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Swine H3N2 Pandemic

niman wrote:
littlebird wrote:
Since this novel trH3N2 has an avian PB2 like 2009 H1N1, does that mean it will evade rapid flu tests as readily as H1N1 did? Or Will it be more readily detected?

And, do we know for sure if any of the seasonal H3N2 infections that were reported over this past year were indeed our good ole "seasonal" H3N2 ?

Isn't it unusual for a seasonal influenza to make such an abrupt comeback immediately following a Pandemic? We've been hearing these sporadic H3N2 occurances here and there even in the Summer. I thought that was extremely odd.

If a patient was typed, and the result pointed to Influena A, seasonal H3N2, would anybody do any further sequencing (outside of those few places that do so for surveilance purposes?)

I thought H1N1 flew under the radar... this virus you are talking about will be a total phantom. We don't have the resources to track it, or the money (I'm speaking from a healthcare point of view).

Influenza is learning to evade our testing, our immune response, our vaccines, and NOBODY is treating anything they can't confirm. Clever virus.... :hello:

It not only has avian PB2, but it also has HA D225G.

Tomorrow's P&I will be 7.02%, which may be just above the epidemic threshhold even though flu activity is low country-wide. When the virus starts to role, the P&I will be well above the epidemic threshhold.

State agencies are trying to get samples from hospitalized patients with flu-like symptoms and pneumonia.

Page 12 of 49 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/