Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:25 pm 

From Dr. Steve Novella's blog, Neurologica

Posted Feb 4, 2010

Quote:
I was recently interviewed by Inside Edition for a follow up story on Desiree Jennings – the young woman who alleged to have dystonia as a reaction to the flu vaccine. (See here for my original post, and there are a few follow ups shortly after.)

Inside Edition initially broke the story nationally, and did not do a very good job – they basically accepted the story at face value and did not consult appropriate experts to give proper context to the story.

Well, it seems that they are now willing to do a follow up report and even try to correct their prior reporting. The show in which I am interviewed will air tonight on Inside Edition. I am always interested to see how these shows turn out – it is almost impossible to tell from the interview itself. Typically a very small percentage of the on-camera interview is used and anything can happen in the editing room. But hopefully they will do justice to the story.

I can tell you, there have been some interesting developments they will reveal on the show (which I cannot discuss until after it airs). I will write a follow up tomorrow after I see the show.

http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/?p=1552

You may recall, Dr. Novella is the Yale School of Medicine Professor of Neurology who has followed the Desiree Jennings case since it first broke. His blog has multiple entries dedicated to discussing it.

Here are some excerpts from the Inside Edition story (written version):

Quote:
Her story created a national uproar. Desiree Jennings, an ambassador for the Washington Redskins cheerleading squad, claimed she developed a rare neurological disorder called dystonia after receiving a seasonal flu shot, causing dramatic spasms and slurred speech.

What made the story so startling is that her symptoms seemed to disappear when she walked backwards or ran.

Back in October 2009, Jennings and her husband told INSIDE EDITION's Les Trent they worried they'd never find a cure. But INSIDE EDITION cameras found her walking normally, playing with her dogs, going shopping, even getting behind the wheel of a car and driving!

It's hard to believe the woman INSIDE EDITION producers have been discreetly observing over the last few weeks is the same woman who contributed to the flu shot scare.

So, when Desiree didn't know a film crew and reporters were observing her, she was seen to be walking and moving about normally, performing complex motor skills, etc. But later, after the reporters stop her and she's been interviewed, she knows they're there and watching, and here's what happened...

Quote:
INSIDE EDITION has to point out one other thing. When Jennings first walked out of a store and into the shopping center parking lot, she seemed to be walking normally, but as she left to get into her car, she was walking sideways. She says it was because of the dystonia.

Interesting observation. The film crew also note another new and bizarre symptom Ms. Jennings is now exhibiting, but you can read about that at the link...

http://www.insideedition.com/storyprint.aspx?SpecialReportID=3955

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:29 pm 

Here's the video. . .

http://www.casttv.com/video/6mjadg/desiree-jennings-flu-shot-victim-was-a-hoax-lmao-at-people-who-belived-her-video

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:54 pm 

P. T. Barnum was correct.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:33 pm 

Here's Dr. Novella's follow-up blog entry, as promised.

http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/?p=1558

Quote:
So I was a bit surprised when I was contacted by a producer from Inside Edition about a possible follow up segment on the story. He had read my blog posts on Ms. Jennings and realized they got the story entirely wrong. To his credit he wanted to do follow up (unfortunately rare in mainstream journalism) and tell the real story. This resulted in the segment that aired last night.

Quote:
So what is the follow up revealed by Inside Edition? Well, first of all Ms. Jennings appears to be walking, talking, and even driving without any difficulty. So the hysterical claims of her being “permanently neurologically injured” were of course untrue. However, when confronted, she says that she still has intermittent symptoms.

Her current symptoms seem to be speaking in a British sounding accent. It should be noted that her speech symptoms have changed and evolved considerably since her symptoms began. They were initially stuttering, then garbled, then spastic, and now accented. There really is no way to explain these various manifestations as neurological injury. I was asked about “foreign accent syndrome” – it is described in the literature as a rare reaction to brain injury. However, patients with this syndrome don’t really speak with a foreign accent – it only may sound that way to the untrained ear. What happens is that damage to the language center causes changes to the pronunciation of speech. In rare cases these changes may sound reminiscent of an accent different than the patient’s native accent. However, when carefully examined it is clear they are not speaking in a foreign accent but merely have neurologically impaired speech.

Another interesting revelation of the Inside Edition story relates to the VAERS report of Ms. Jennings’ alleged vaccine reaction. A report matching her story was found, and in the official report it says that her neurologist at Johns Hopkins felt that her condition was strongly psychogenic. This contradicts Ms. Jennings’ report (repeated uncritically by anti-vaccinationists) that her doctors diagnosed her with dystonia. Jennings has now confirmed to Inside Edition that the VAERS report is in fact hers...

This is the specific issue at hand – what was her diagnosis. She claims it was dystonia, which was hard to believe. But now, because of the VAERS report and her admission, we know that her diagnosis was a psychogenic disorder.

Quote:
We further learn from Inside Edition that Ms. Jennings is no longer seeing Dr. Buttar, and is somewhat upset at the large bill he gave her for his dubious services.

Dr. Novella presented a very well-balanced posting, quite sympathetic to Desiree.