Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:13 am 

spentitall wrote:
I can still see them, including others:

JJackson [Moderator] 1 day ago
Thank you for addressing the low reactor status (TWiV62) of A/Lviv/N6/ H1N1(2009) (PS Lviv/N2 is identical at the AA level on both HA & NA – two third position changes on HA – no low reactor status) but I note you said that 225 did not fall within one of the antigenic sites. As I thought it had I looked at http://peds.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/22/9... and while the numbering systems are confusing if I read the paper right they seem to be implying it falls within epitope D (Table 1).

I am not a virologist - I mend computers – so I have probably misunderstood something.

Thanks for the blog and TWiVs

Jonathan Jackson.

The above comments on "low reactor status", tries to use the absence of "low reactor" status on a sequence that has not been tested as some sort of evidence against the sample that has been tested are sure to mislead. Mill Hill tested TWO samples from Ukraine. The one from Kiev was labeled "California/7-like". The one with D225G was labeled "Calidornia/7-like. Low reactor". Results from the other 8 were not given so use of the absence of results as evidence of a discrepancy is just nonsense (but explains why flutrackers.com is confused on this issue).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:29 am 

Rick wrote:
niman [Moderator] 1 day ago
I have already run into internet sites quoting your nonsense on low reactors. You are setting an extremely BAD example of virologists, so lets get to the real data so maybe you can post something here, or issue a retraction.
First, as seen in the Nature Biotechnology that you linked (do you really read these papers or just look for catchy titles) there were three non-synonymous changes in HA between California/4 and an isolate from Germany. The German isolate is really the consensus sequence so the vaccine starts out with three HA difference relative to the vast majority of sequences out there, so although the Ukraine sequence has only one ADDITIONAL change, it already has three changes with California/7, the vaccine target.
The Mill Hill data shows a "low reactor" status for the Ukraine sequence tested with D225G. They are well aware of the importance of such a designation and have stood by their data. Low reactor means that the titer against the "low reactor" is at least 4 fold lower than the target, and is used to signal a move toward vaccine failure. Low reactor doesn't guarantee failure, but certainly is a concern for those who have borderline immunity, and a titer of 40 is well into the bordeline category, but is the standard for protective immunity. Thus, those with titers of 80 would fall below the "protective" mark if the titer fell four fold, and titers of 160 would fall to the borderline area. There are also many host factors that lead to infections in those who do have "protective" levels. so a four fold drop is not a good indicator.
As noted, Canada is now mentioning D225G in their discussion of low reactors, so they must not have heard your telephone nonsense with Palese.
I think most virologists would appreciate some homework on your part before you broadcast nonsense about H1N1, receptor binding domain changes, and low titers.
Your comments are quite embarassing to the field.

Oooo...I guess I'm not the only one that loses his temper.

Granted from a far less well informed viewpoint.

The response was based on the nonsense in the tape (by a group that CLEARLY had not done their homework) was EXTREMELY annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:14 am 

zombie wrote:
Hogweed wrote:
I see four comments on the blog. Three from Niman and one from jjackson. jjackson's comment also queries the statement that 225G is a not a known antigenic site.
thanks. I was looking here.
http://www.virology.ws/2009/12/13/twiv-62-persistence-of-west-nile-virus/
not here
http://www.twiv.tv/2009/12/13/twiv-62-persistence-of-west-nile-virus/#comment-25770357

Thanks for the links. The blog seems to have a dual set of books, so to speak. If I go to the site and go to broadcast 62, I get the story with no comments (I have now posted asking about the other comments, and that is the only comment). However, the second link above does get to the comments (which are likely seen by very few because it is not clear how to access those comments without the above link).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:25 am 

If you visit TWIV homepage here, http://www.twiv.tv/

Then click the (9 Comments) at the bottom of the week 62 summary, here:

Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to twiv@twiv.tv or leave voicemail at Skype: twivpodcast. You can also post articles that you would like us to discuss at microbeworld.org and tag them with twiv.
Share this episode:

* TwitThis
* Digg
* del.icio.us
* Facebook
* Google Bookmarks
* StumbleUpon

{ 9 comments }

That will take you to the comments that have been posted, including your own.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:13 am 

spentitall wrote:
If you visit TWIV homepage here, http://www.twiv.tv/

Then click the (9 Comments) at the bottom of the week 62 summary, here:

Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to twiv@twiv.tv or leave voicemail at Skype: twivpodcast. You can also post articles that you would like us to discuss at microbeworld.org and tag them with twiv.
Share this episode:

* TwitThis
* Digg
* del.icio.us
* Facebook
* Google Bookmarks
* StumbleUpon

{ 9 comments }

That will take you to the comments that have been posted, including your own.

Yes, the problem is related to the URL. The above .tv URL has the comments, while the .ws URL does not. I googled "virology blog" which led to the .ws site, so those accessing via .ws links or bookmarks will not access the comments above.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22