Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two Shoes Dropping
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:08 pm 

Many had asked why the WHO was dragging its feet on Ukraine and I had said they had two major problems. One was "mutation" and the other was Tamiflu resistance and both were happening when deaths were climbing and vaccine was is short supply. Therefore, they would try to keep those two shoes from dropping for as long as possible.

Now both shoes have dropped. The D225G in Ukraine was disclosed, followed by Norway, so the "mutation" shoe has dropped, and now the clsuters of Tamiflu resistance in the UK and NC have come out, so the other shoe has dropped.

Most of the world is as lost as ever. Media hasn't yet figured out that the same "mutation" is in Ukraine and Norway (and worldwide), and they also haven't figured out that the cat was out of the bag on Tamiflu resistance.

In both cases, agencies are still trying to spin "spontaneous mutation" and lack of spread, but those dogs won't hunt.

A vaccine panic is next, followed by real panic.

Post subject: Re: Two Shoes Dropping
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:10 pm 

So are you saying this will be a real year 2k event, where I need to stockpile my goods?

TIA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:12 pm 

niman wrote:
Most of the world is as lost as ever. Media hasn't yet figured out that the same "mutation" is in Ukraine and Norway (and worldwide), and they also haven't figured out that the cat was out of the bag on Tamiflu resistance.

In both cases, agencies are still trying to spin "spontaneous mutation" and lack of spread, but those dogs won't hunt.

Interesting phrases. Since we just received word of the first known feline H1N1 fatality...

So are dogs next in the lineup (if it hasn't already happened?)

And I would never have thought a Yankee such as yourself would use a good ol' Southern Boy expression like "that dog won't hunt." Kinky Friedman fan, perhaps?

I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:18 pm 

wotan wrote:
niman wrote:

And I would never have thought a Yankee such as yourself would use a good ol' Southern Boy expression like "that dog won't hunt." Kinky Friedman fan, perhaps?

I thought I was getting too technical.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:24 pm 

wotan wrote:
niman wrote:

Interesting phrases. Since we just received word of the first known feline H1N1 fatality...

This will be much more than a "dead cat bounce".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:43 pm 

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1136 ... -flu-virus

The World Health Organisation says a mutation had been found in samples of the swine flu virus taken following the first two deaths from the pandemic in Norway.

."The Norwegian Institute of Public Health has informed WHO of a mutation detected in three H1N1 viruses," the WHO said in a briefing note on Friday.

"The viruses were isolated from the first two fatal cases of pandemic influenza in the country and one patient with severe illness," it said, although it added that no further instances were found in tests.

The WHO revealed that a similar mutation had been observed in Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, Ukraine, and the United States as early as April, but underlined that there was no evidence of more infections or more deaths as a result.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm 

niman wrote:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1136987/Mutation-found-in-Norway-swine-flu-virus

The WHO revealed that a similar mutation had been observed in Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, Ukraine, and the United States as early as April, but underlined that there was no evidence of more infections or more deaths as a result.

The above is WHO acknowledging that D225G is in Ukraine and Norway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:47 pm 

Relative to the 225 in the 1918 experience, what was the period of time between that development then and the emergence into the full blown spread and fatality spread? How does that compare to present?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:51 pm 

niman wrote:
niman wrote:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1136987/Mutation-found-in-Norway-swine-flu-virus

I "love" what the rest of that statement is not acknowledging.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:53 pm 

niman wrote:
niman wrote:

This is the first WHO admission that there was a change in Ukraine.