Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Two Shoes Dropping
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Many had asked why the WHO was dragging its feet on Ukraine and I had said they had two major problems. One was "mutation" and the other was Tamiflu resistance and both were happening when deaths were climbing and vaccine was is short supply. Therefore, they would try to keep those two shoes from dropping for as long as possible.

Now both shoes have dropped. The D225G in Ukraine was disclosed, followed by Norway, so the "mutation" shoe has dropped, and now the clsuters of Tamiflu resistance in the UK and NC have come out, so the other shoe has dropped.

Most of the world is as lost as ever. Media hasn't yet figured out that the same "mutation" is in Ukraine and Norway (and worldwide), and they also haven't figured out that the cat was out of the bag on Tamiflu resistance.

In both cases, agencies are still trying to spin "spontaneous mutation" and lack of spread, but those dogs won't hunt.

A vaccine panic is next, followed by real panic.

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Shoes Dropping
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:15 pm
Posts: 47
So are you saying this will be a real year 2k event, where I need to stockpile my goods?

TIA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Shoes Dropping
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:58 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: Katy, TX
niman wrote:
Most of the world is as lost as ever. Media hasn't yet figured out that the same "mutation" is in Ukraine and Norway (and worldwide), and they also haven't figured out that the cat was out of the bag on Tamiflu resistance.

In both cases, agencies are still trying to spin "spontaneous mutation" and lack of spread, but those dogs won't hunt.


Interesting phrases. Since we just received word of the first known feline H1N1 fatality...

So are dogs next in the lineup (if it hasn't already happened?)

And I would never have thought a Yankee such as yourself would use a good ol' Southern Boy expression like "that dog won't hunt." Kinky Friedman fan, perhaps?

_________________
I am not a doctor, virologist, or any of type of medical/life sciences professional.

I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Shoes Dropping
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
wotan wrote:
niman wrote:

And I would never have thought a Yankee such as yourself would use a good ol' Southern Boy expression like "that dog won't hunt." Kinky Friedman fan, perhaps?

I thought I was getting too technical.

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Shoes Dropping
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
wotan wrote:
niman wrote:
Most of the world is as lost as ever. Media hasn't yet figured out that the same "mutation" is in Ukraine and Norway (and worldwide), and they also haven't figured out that the cat was out of the bag on Tamiflu resistance.

In both cases, agencies are still trying to spin "spontaneous mutation" and lack of spread, but those dogs won't hunt.


Interesting phrases. Since we just received word of the first known feline H1N1 fatality...


This will be much more than a "dead cat bounce".

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Shoes Dropping
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1136 ... -flu-virus


The World Health Organisation says a mutation had been found in samples of the swine flu virus taken following the first two deaths from the pandemic in Norway.

."The Norwegian Institute of Public Health has informed WHO of a mutation detected in three H1N1 viruses," the WHO said in a briefing note on Friday.

"The viruses were isolated from the first two fatal cases of pandemic influenza in the country and one patient with severe illness," it said, although it added that no further instances were found in tests.

The WHO revealed that a similar mutation had been observed in Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, Ukraine, and the United States as early as April, but underlined that there was no evidence of more infections or more deaths as a result.

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Shoes Dropping
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
niman wrote:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1136987/Mutation-found-in-Norway-swine-flu-virus

The WHO revealed that a similar mutation had been observed in Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, Ukraine, and the United States as early as April, but underlined that there was no evidence of more infections or more deaths as a result.

The above is WHO acknowledging that D225G is in Ukraine and Norway.

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Shoes Dropping
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:21 pm
Posts: 84
Relative to the 225 in the 1918 experience, what was the period of time between that development then and the emergence into the full blown spread and fatality spread? How does that compare to present?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Shoes Dropping
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:31 am
Posts: 176
niman wrote:
niman wrote:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1136987/Mutation-found-in-Norway-swine-flu-virus

The WHO revealed that a similar mutation had been observed in Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, Ukraine, and the United States as early as April, but underlined that there was no evidence of more infections or more deaths as a result.

The above is WHO acknowledging that D225G is in Ukraine and Norway.
I "love" what the rest of that statement is not acknowledging.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Shoes Dropping
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
niman wrote:
niman wrote:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1136987/Mutation-found-in-Norway-swine-flu-virus

The WHO revealed that a similar mutation had been observed in Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, Ukraine, and the United States as early as April, but underlined that there was no evidence of more infections or more deaths as a result.

The above is WHO acknowledging that D225G is in Ukraine and Norway.

This is the first WHO admission that there was a change in Ukraine.

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 62 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group