Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: ASK DR. NIMAN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:48 pm 

Dr. Niman has given me permission to start this thread, ”with the understanding that I will get to the questions eventually, but not necessarily immediately “.

I’m hoping that it will actually save him time, as he patiently [or not] answers the same questions many times over. Please limit your posts to questions and direct new members to this thread if you know a question has already been answered.

I’ll begin:
Dr. Niman, I read somewhere that Baxter has manufactured and made toxic vaccines. Can you respond?

The Baxter contamination was NOT a vaccine. That is PURE internet babble. The contamination was a vector that was SOLD to a company in Europe for EXPERIMENTAL use. The deaths were in FERRETS and the problem was corrected after the mistake was investigated.
Vaccines are CLOSELY monitored. Batches have been destroyed because local sites kept them in refrigerators that were a few degrees too cold. The vaccine nonsense is spread by wackos and snake oil salesmen selling books, products, or plans for the same.
[most recently from the Ukraine thread]

Last edited by wotan on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Setting sticky so it can be found.

Post subject: Re: ASK DR. NIMAN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:44 pm 

VJP wrote:
Dr. Niman has given me permission to start this thread, ”with the understanding that I will get to the questions eventually, but not necessarily immediately “.

I’m hoping that it will actually save him time, as he patiently [or not] answers the same questions many times over. Please limit your posts to questions and direct new members to this thread if you know a question has already been answered.

I’ll begin:
Dr. Niman, I read somewhere that Baxter has manufactured and made toxic vaccines. Can you respond?

The Baxter contamination was NOT a vaccine. That is PURE internet babble. The contamination was a vector that was SOLD to a company in Europe for EXPERIMENTAL use. The deaths were in FERRETS and the problem was corrected after the mistake was investigated.
Vaccines are CLOSELY monitored. Batches have been destroyed because local sites kept them in refrigerators that were a few degrees too cold. The vaccine nonsense is spread by wackos and snake oil salesmen selling books, products, or plans for the same.
[most recently from the Ukraine thread]

Very nice to have a secretary. You should be on the payroll. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm 

ms4920 wrote:
Very nice to have a secretary. You should be on the payroll. :)

Please limit your posts to questions.
But thanks for bumping this up.

[edited for tone]

Last edited by VJP on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:32 pm 

It is nice for Dr. Niman to have you for a secretary. Thanks for this. I have often wanted to ask Dr. Niman questions but know he is a busy guy. This will be nice for many of us. Thank you in advance, Dr. Niman.

My 2 year old (adopted) has Sensory Processing issues (pretty extreme with audio sensitivities and vestibular issues), right side muscle weakness and trunk/core weakness, and severe GERD. She will most likely receive a diagnosis of mild CP at her next visit to the orthopedic doctor, who specializes in CP. Her birth mother used street drugs during the first trimester and into the second of pregnancy.

She is currently recovering from H1N1. I believe this was a re-infection for her with the first being fairly mild. The most recent was not mild at all. Within 32 hours from the start of the fever she began to exhibit odd behaviors. She became withdrawn and would not answer when we spoke to her, she made repetitive odd noises, her speech degraded significantly, she was constantly seeking proprioceptive input, her balance and coordination was off and seemed to be almost oblivious to how very sick she was. Now that she is recovering the sensory issues are still there but a little improved. She does not have any bacterial infection, still has a cough but it is getting better each day. She was prescribed Tamiflu, but the symptoms began prior to the first dose. The only medications I gave her were Motrin and Tylenol to reduce fever and she has had both prior. She was very sick for 5 days.

What was it that caused this reaction for her? I have found no information on this except a few children in Texas that had seizures and complications from them. She has had neurological issues since 2 months and she has had high fevers before with several UTI's and has not had this happen so I am reluctant to blame the fever. Is H1N1 able to affect the brain/sensory systems in this manner?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:42 am 

I am not Dr. Niman, but I can tell you what I know. Most Flu has a rare side effect of meningitis and/or encephalopathy. This swelling can definitely cause changes in perception and other neurological symptoms. Most recover fully even if they show the neurological symptoms. Also consider if he has sensory processing disorder that having the flu alone would cause sensory overload, along with visits to the doctor, examinations, etc. Coming from a child development standpoint, I would think it quite possible he just needs to go within for a time to simply sort out all the sensory input he has received.

My son also has sensory processing difficulties, but due to High Functioning Autistic Disorder. He also has a Chiari malformation of the brainstem. Rounding them out is an arachnoid choroidal fissure cyst and Reactive Airways Dysfunction.

My son's docs felt with his 4 underlying conditions that they did not even want him in school because of the possibilities of complications from brain swelling, let alone the possible complications from his RADS (asthma essentially).

He was finally able to go back to school on Monday because he received his H1N1 shot 11 days prior.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:10 pm 

Is there any correlation between the novel H1N1 and the novel H3N8, or is it just coincidence that they both showed up recently?
Are there any other novel viruses that we should be concerned about right now?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:14 pm 

VJP wrote:
Is there any correlation between the novel H1N1 and the novel H3N8, or is it just coincidence that they both showed up recently?
Are there any other novel viruses that we should be concerned about right now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_flu

Quote:
Canine influenza or dog flu is influenza occurring in canines. Canine influenza is caused by varieties of Influenzavirus A, such as equine influenza virus H3N8, which in 2004 was discovered to cause disease in dogs. Because of the lack of previous exposure to this virus, dogs have no natural immunity to this virus. Therefore, the disease is rapidly transmitted between individual dogs. Canine influenza may be endemic in some regional dog populations of the United States. It is a disease with a high morbidity but a low mortality.[1]

The canine H3N8 is actually not that new.

I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm 

I would like to know why ferrets and cats and whatnot are being tested for H1N1 while our children are denied the test?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:54 pm 

Is there scientific proof that people are getting the flu more than once?
[am arguing with nurse daughter about this]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:13 pm 

Antigenic Characterization In week 20 ending May,23,09 the CDC started testing pH1N1 against the WHO's referance strain' A/California /07/2009(H1N1). Before that they just said that the seasonal H1N1 vaccine wouldnt work for pH1N1. Starting week 20 & ending week 37 all pH1N1 samples were related to the WHO's referance strain. In week 38, 39 & 42 one virus was found in each of those weeks that showed reduced titers with antisera produced against A/California/07/2009(H1N1). The
WHO's referance strain. So the Vaccine probably will not work against this strain. Isolated cases or a substrain that is co-circulated at low levels with 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses ? Week 42 [171 (99.4%) of 172 2009 A (H1N1) viruses tested are related to the A/California/07/2009 (H1N1) reference virus selected by WHO as the 2009 H1N1 vaccine virus and one virus (0.6%) tested showed reduced titers with antisera produced against A/California/07/2009.] Week 39 [Eight hundred twenty-one (99.9%) of 822 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses are related to the A/California/07/2009 (H1N1)pdm reference virus selected by WHO as the vaccine strain for the 2009-10 influenza A (H1N1) vaccine for the Northern Hemisphere. One virus (0.1%) demonstrated reduced titers with antisera produced against A/California/07/2009 (H1N1).] Week 38 [Seven hundred ninety-four (99.9%) of 795 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses are related to the A/California/07/2009 (H1N1)pdm reference virus selected by WHO as the vaccine strain for the 2009-10 influenza A (H1N1) vaccine for the Northern Hemisphere. One virus (0.1%) demonstrated reduced titers with antisera produced against A/California/07/2009 ](H1N1).http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/fluactivity.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next