Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:47 pm 

Okay, I've been researching this story in between patients. I've found out a few pertinent facts.

1. Much of the wording of the story being circulated now as if it is current news (starting on September 24th) was stolen verbatim from a true CBS news story dated July 21st. The base true story was radically altered, with dramatic fictional elements added, and "rebranded" to make it appear it's happening now. It isn't.

2. Regarding the allegedly "dead" officers, given as simply "the captain and the master chief petty officer" -- Captain Mark L. Cedrun and Command Master Chief Petty Officer Ray Burrhus are both alive and well and occupy their posts, which they've occupied for over a year. NO change of command was recorded on the military websites (even though I found every other changeover going back 5 years) or on the USS Boxer's homepage, where Captain Cedrun is clearly listed as STILL in command (pretty good for a corpse, wouldn't you say?). There were NO death or funeral stories anywhere on the web (other than Ott, et. al's garbage story). One website I visited even had a comment from a sailor stating that the stories were fabricated and that, while a bunch of people got sick with flu in July (something we knew), everyone recovered and nobody died. He called the story BS. I was able to verify the sailor is who he claims to be. Captain Cedrun and the Master Chief would probably be quite shocked to find out that some vaccination conspiracy wingnuts are spreading rumors that they died of swine flu.

3. The Timeline: Was the ship ever under a 60-day at-sea quarantine? Answer: NO!

June 25th: Phuket, Thailand -- ship put into port. Some marines from the ship got in trouble with the law over a jet ski incident, thus establishing a paper trail. Many sailors and marines partook of shore leave.
July 17th: Ship puts into port at Pearl Harbor. During ocean transit from Thailand, 69 crew members out of almost 3,000 became ill with the flu. The sick crew members are kept on board ship and tested for H1N1 with positive results. Their cases were reported in the news by CBS and on military and flu surveillance sites, ours included. Healthy crew members disembarking for shore leave were screened with thermography equipment. Many crew members wandered around Waikiki and Honolulu for beach parties, shopping, and fun.
Quote:
Boxer's Morale Welfare and Recreation Department arranged numerous tours and activities for the crew, including a snorkeling trip and a hike up one of Oahu's most recognized landmarks, Diamond Head State Monument. The crew also enjoyed shopping for gifts and the scenic beauty of the islands.
http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=47043

July 24th: Boxer departed Oahu bound for the West Coast.
July 30th: Boxer stopped at Camp Pendleton to disembark the Marines of the 13th MEU. A party was held to welcome the Marines home after 7 months duty.
August 5th: Boxer arrived at its home port in San Diego for furlough after being deployed since January (San Diego is where it has been ever since). USS Boxer (Pier 13), USS New Orleans (Pier 10), USS Comstock (Pier 6). Note the date it arrived in San Diego...It isn't today, as the story claimed. Video of the welcome home, showing the ship arriving, sailors coming down the ramp, kissing their family members, etc. was published in several spots on the web. Quite a few news stories about it.
August 12th: The allegedly dead captain of the ship took part in a bike race/rally in San Diego. Looked very healthy for a dead man! ;)

It's pretty clear from the above DOCUMENTED events that there was never a 60-day, at-sea, ship-wide quarantine, nor did the Captain and Command Master Chief Petty Officer die of swine flu while at sea, nor did the ship arrive back in San Diego today, all as alleged by the now thoroughly debunked story. :banned:

(If anyone would like links to verify each of the statements made above, I'll be happy to provide them. I have about two pages worth. :grin:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:13 pm 

MKey1 = Shirlock Hlomes! :good:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:13 am 

Can you PM me those links,
Im pretty upset someone would make something up like that, and spread it around.
People could choose to not vaccinate their children based on his BS.
We need to make a counter-UTUBE video that pops up next to his and spells this out. People need to know he is a fraud.

Great work you should have been a detective!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:33 am 

Thanks Mkey. I was telling my husband about it and he was getting the H1N1 vaccination as he works in a hospital. But then he said, see if it is true. So it may have changed his mind. It may have changed his mind. You are great.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:14 pm 

ms4920 wrote:
Thanks Mkey. I was telling my husband about it and he was getting the H1N1 vaccination as he works in a hospital. But then he said, see if it is true. So it may have changed his mind. It may have changed his mind. You are great.

These bogus stories are all over the internet, and now they really are lethal. This one seems to have gone a step beyond most. Usually two true stories are cited and then linked together by utter nonsense. In this case the deaths were added to embellish a bit, but the formula is the same.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:21 pm 

TheHappyScientist wrote:
Im pretty upset someone would make something up like that, and spread it around.
We need to make a counter-UTUBE video that pops up next to his and spells this out. People need to know he is a fraud.

There are many such examples. I had written a commentary on school closings in an around Knoxville, which was based on multiple media reports. Someone likely googled flu and knoxville and found out that one of teh MANY clinical trial sites for testing the vaccine in children was in Knoxville. so they took the clinical trial in Knowxville and school closings in Knoxville and put out a bogus story on school closings due to children infected by the vaccine, which if course was nonsense, becasue the trials were in multiple cities and the vaccine is killed (and if the vaccine somehow was active, the problem would be quickly discovered because the vaccine only has H and N from the swine H1N1). The other six genes are from a carrrier used in seasonal flu which has six genes from a 1934 isolate in Puerto Rico.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:37 pm 

niman wrote:
TheHappyScientist wrote:

There are many such examples. I had written a commentary on school closings in an around Knoxville, which was based on multiple media reports. Someone likely googled flu and knoxville and found out that one of teh MANY clinical trial sites for testing the vaccine in children was in Knoxville. so they took the clinical trial in Knowxville and school closings in Knoxville and put out a bogus story on school closings due to children infected by the vaccine, which if course was nonsense, becasue the trials were in multiple cities and the vaccine is killed (and if the vaccine somehow was active, the problem would be quickly discovered because the vaccine only has H and N from the swine H1N1). The other six genes are from a carrrier used in seasonal flu which has six genes from a 1934 isolate in Puerto Rico.

Here is the commentary on Knoxville school closings, which of course says nothing about an association with the vaccine

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/09180 ... ville.html

Another School District Closing Near Knoxville Tennessee
Recombinomics Commentary 01:34
September 18, 2009

Loudon County has decided to close all schools Friday through Tuesday because of high levels of absenteeism among both students and teachers.

Absences among students due to the flu have reached 20 percent systemwide, with some schools approaching levels as high as 30 percent, according to Jason Vance, assistant director of schools. Teacher absence rates are also approaching 20 percent throughout the system, Vance said.

"After speaking with the county physician, we decided it would be better to close all schools," Vance said.

The strain of flu affecting most of the children seems to be a little worse than usual, Vance said..............

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:01 pm 

What can be done?
Its one thing to spout out conspiracy THEORIES and ideas,
its fully another to report something as fact, convince people you are a 'credible source" and advise them to do something (or not do something in the case of the vaccine) which would result in fatalities.

This is FRAUD if they are outright lying.

Cant anything be done about these people? If they are lying, and they are caught in those lies, and they were trying to talk people out of being vaccinated then they need to be held accountable for anyone that dies due to their LIES.

What can be done? :duel:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:46 pm 

TheHappyScientist wrote:
What can be done?
its fully another to report something as fact, convince people you are a 'credible source" and advise them to do something (or not do something in the case of the vaccine) which would result in fatalities.

Cant anything be done about these people? If they are lying, and they are caught in those lies, and they were trying to talk people out of being vaccinated then they need to be held accountable for anyone that dies due to their LIES.

Ah well be careful where you tread when calling for these sites to come down. The definition of right and wrong is a slim line in some peoples eyes. Some out there believe the web needs to be tightly controlled. Arguments such as this would give them timber for their fire. It is up to individuals to look at all the facts and making a informed decision. But, to close these sites because you believe they are wrong would be a suppression of freedom that I do not believe we would want to head too. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:55 pm 

TheHappyScientist wrote:
What can be done?

I think rolling out the maps will get the public's attention

http://www.recombinomics.com/imaps.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27  Next