Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:58 pm 

wotan wrote:
One of the few times I have given the CDC credit for getting something right is when they stated (contradicting earlier statements) that obesity was not an apparent factor in severe cases/deaths, for the reasons cited above: basically, obese people were not represented in hospitalizations at a level significantly above their representation in the general population. Unfortunately, a lot of places (California, I think) still list obesity as a co-morbidity.

The CDC got that right? Wow. There were some articles in the NEJM and Scientific American about how "overwheight" people live longer than any other category, if you do the math right. And that even the morbidly obese category outlived "underweight" people. The one thing it said it most strongly prevented, resulting in that longer lifespan, was lung cancer. We have a lung issue here.

"For both women and men, though, being overweight or obese seemed to confer significant protection against lung cancer, which is by far the most commonly lethal malignancy. That relation held even after the effects of smoking were subtracted."http://www.angelfire.com/pa/sergeman/issues/healthcare/fatoverblown.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:03 am 

Rick wrote:
wotan wrote:
One of the few times I have given the CDC credit for getting something right is when they stated (contradicting earlier statements) that obesity was not an apparent factor in severe cases/deaths, for the reasons cited above: basically, obese people were not represented in hospitalizations at a level significantly above their representation in the general population. Unfortunately, a lot of places (California, I think) still list obesity as a co-morbidity.

The CDC got that right? Wow. There were some articles in the NEJM and Scientific American about how "overwheight" people live longer than any other category, if you do the math right. And that even the morbidly obese category outlived "underweight" people. The one thing it said it most strongly prevented, resulting in that longer lifespan, was lung cancer. We have a lung issue here.

"For both women and men, though, being overweight or obese seemed to confer significant protection against lung cancer, which is by far the most commonly lethal malignancy. That relation held even after the effects of smoking were subtracted."http://www.angelfire.com/pa/sergeman/issues/healthcare/fatoverblown.html

I'm trying to find it, but having a hard time, too much other noise.

I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:09 am 

I noticed this illustration earlier in the thread...
I've got this basic lung mouth/nose graphic ready to go if one of you experts needs an illustration of your idea. Easy to move things around. We can even animate it with Flash if important. (The 190E thing was totally out to lunch.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:12 am 

wotan wrote:
Rick wrote:
wotan wrote:

This is the best I can find so far, which basically matches what you were saying (possibly the original source):
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/njem_qa.htm
Quote:
risk for 2009 H1N1-related complications?
Although at this time obesity has not been linked with increased risk for 2009 H1N1 flu-related complications, this study shows that further investigation is warranted. Although data regarding height and weight were available for only 70% of patients in the study, 45% of these patients were either obese or morbidly obese, based on chart abstractions. However, the majority (81%) of these patients had an underlying condition known to increase their risk for flu-related complications. For adults included in the study, the prevalence of obesity (29%) was comparable to the estimated obesity prevalence in the adult U.S. population (27%). However, the prevalence of morbid obesity (26%) was higher than the estimated (5%) in the adult U.S. population.

I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:12 am 

wotan wrote:

Doesn't matter, I trust your interpretation of it more than I trust them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:14 am 

Not to be rude. But in California, where I live, I have seen pics of many deceased. They have underlying causes, there are many hispanics and sorry but many are very obese. I am overweight, also, but not obese. This does not mean you should die as you are obese. But for some reason there is some type of connection with obesity. But obesity is a factor for many other diseases, as well.
This is my own opinion, only.
I hope the scientists find the connection.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:15 am 

silvermaran wrote:
VJP wrote:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2765490/Just-4-happy-days-at-home-as-a-family-as-Marianne-Johnston-dies-of-swine-flu.html

A TRAGIC young mum enjoyed just four days at home with her beloved new son - before being diagnosed with the deadly swine flu that claimed her life.

If you look closely at her-her ears are symptomatic. I know the face well, but the ears are alarming.

Please explain.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:19 am 

ms4920 wrote:
Not to be rude. But in California, where I live, I have seen pics of many deceased. They have underlying causes, there are many hispanics and sorry but many are very obese. I am overweight, also, but not obese. This does not mean you should die as you are obese. But for some reason there is some type of connection with obesity. But obesity is a factor for many other diseases, as well.
This is my own opinion, only.
I hope the scientists find the connection.

If memory serves, the morbidly obese, is about 15%, one out of 6, when in the normal population it's one out of 20. A surprising number of very fat people that would probably catch anyone's eye. Not surprising, hard to breathe already.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:21 am 

Woton, here's one ...
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/conte ... /152/6/506

Quote:
The issue of whether obesity is protective for lung cancer remains unresolved. [...]

Two studies have found a protective effect of obesity on lung cancer risk in never smokers, one a cohort study with 10 cases who never smoked (25Go) and the other a hospital-based case-control study that found this relation for female but not male never smokers (26Go). We performed such a study in a large population of lung cancer cases and controls who were never and former smokers; subjects were individually matched by smoking history either as never smokers or as former smokers who had been nonsmokers for at least the previous 10 years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:44 am 

I am saying I would put money she had something going on when pic was taken. Red ears can be a sign of a lot of things. But flu is one.

http://www.medicinenet.com/relapsing_po ... rticle.htm

http://boards.webmd.com/webx?THDX@@.89a ... =.89aeb686

http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=10465
Lupus, carcinoids, Fragile X, and erythromelalgia and shingles a few.

For example try this one---He said her only underlying medical condition was sleep apnea. It's unclear where she contracted the virus.
http://www.wtov9.com/news/21767083/detail.html

I would be willing to bet the obesity and apnea and red ears are all connected to endocrine disorders.

Don't make me call House.

Last edited by silvermaran on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next