Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum
http://fluboard.rhizalabs.com/forum/

Two More Confirmed Ebola Cases In Lagos - Contacts
http://fluboard.rhizalabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12107
Page 1 of 1

Author:  niman [ Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:29 am ]
Post subject:  Two More Confirmed Ebola Cases In Lagos - Contacts

Media cites Ebola confirmation in two spouses of confirmed cases.

Author:  niman [ Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Two More Confirmed Ebola Cases In Lagos - Contacts

Nigeria on Friday (Aug 22) said that two more people had tested positive for Ebola, taking the total number of confirmed cases of the deadly virus in the country to 14, including five deaths.

"Nigeria has now recorded the first two cases of Ebola Virus Disease in secondary contacts of the index case," Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu told a news conference in Abuja. "The two patients are spouses of primary contacts of the Liberian American," the minister said, referring to Patrick Sawyer, who died in a private Lagos hospital on Jul 25.

The 40-year-old Liberian finance ministry consultant was taken for treatment after arriving at Lagos airport visibly unwell on a flight from Monrovia. Two doctors and two nurses who treated Sawyer, as well as an official from the West African regional bloc ECOWAS who picked him up from the airport died from the disease.

The World Health Organization said on Tuesday that it was encouraged by the situation in Nigeria, given that all of the confirmed cases came from a single chain of transmission. Five people confirmed to have the virus have been "successfully managed and discharged", Chukwu said, adding that the two new cases were among four currently being treated at an isolation unit. Ebola has killed 1,350 people this year, with most deaths in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

- AFP/nd

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/nig ... 25750.html

Author:  niman [ Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Two More Confirmed Ebola Cases In Lagos - Contacts

Status Update on Ebola Virus Disease in Nigeria as at 22nd August 2014

Nigeria has now recorded the first two (2) cases of Ebola Virus Disease in secondary contacts of the index case, the Liberian-American.
The two patients are spouses of primary contacts of the Liberian-American. They are among the secondary contacts who have been under surveillance.
This now brings to four (4) the total number of Ebola Virus Disease patients currently under treatment at the isolation ward.
This also means that the total number of cases of Ebola Virus Disease so far reported in the country is fourteen (14). The number of deaths still remains five (5), while the number of those successfully managed and discharged also stands at five (5).
The Federal Government, working with the Lagos State Government and other partners, will continue to maintain vigilance, continue to strengthen our containment activities, and wishes to reassure the Nigerian public and the global community that efforts will not relent until the very last case of the Ebola Virus Disease is seen in Nigeria.

http://www.health.gov.ng/index.php/news ... ugust-2014

Author:  niman [ Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Two More Confirmed Ebola Cases In Lagos - Contacts

Nigeria Confirms New Ebola Cases, Boy Killed In Liberia Quarantine Zone
AP | By BASHIR ADIGUN and JONATHAN PAYE-LAYLEH
Posted: 08/22/2014 9:15 am EDT Updated: 4 hours ago
VIDEO & SLIDE SHOW

ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Two alarming new cases of Ebola have emerged in Nigeria, widening the circle of people sickened beyond the immediate group of caregivers who treated a dying airline passenger in one of Africa's largest cities.

The outbreak also continues to spread elsewhere in West Africa, with 142 more cases recorded, bringing the new total to 2,615 with 1,427 deaths, the World Health Organization said Friday.

Most of the new cases are in Liberia, where the government was delivering donated rice to a slum where 50,000 people have been sealed off from the rest of the capital in an attempt to contain the outbreak.


New treatment centers in Liberia are being overwhelmed by patients that were not previously identified. One center with 20 beds opened its doors to 70 possibly infected people, likely coming from "shadow-zones" where people fearing authorities won't let doctors enter, the U.N health agency said.

"This phenomenon strongly suggests the existence of an invisible caseload of patients who are not being detected by the surveillance system," the agency said. This has "never before been seen in an Ebola outbreak."

The two new cases in Nigeria were infected by their spouses, both medical workers who had direct contact with Liberian-American Patrick Sawyer, who flew into Nigeria from Liberia and Togo and infected 11 others before he died in July. The male and female caregivers also then died of Ebola, Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu said Friday.

Nigerian officials initially claimed the risk of exposure to others was minimal because Sawyer was whisked into isolation after arriving at the airport. Lagos state health commissioner Jide Idris later acknowledged that Sawyer was not immediately quarantined.

The two new cases were quarantined two days ago while being tested, Chukwu said. They had previously been under surveillance, meaning they were contacted daily to see if they developed any symptoms, but their movements were not restricted. Once they showed signs of the disease, they were brought in.

Authorities are now trying to identify and monitor everyone they have been in contact with.

In all, 213 people are now under surveillance in Nigeria, including six people, all "secondary contacts" like the caregivers' spouses, being monitored in the state of Enugu, more than 310 miles (500 kilometers) east of Lagos.

A mobile laboratory capable of diagnosing the disease has been moved there, Chukwu said.

Nigeria's total of confirmed infections is now 16. Five of them have died and five have recovered; the rest are being treated in isolation in Lagos, the commercial capital where Sawyer's flight landed.

The damage has been far greater in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia, each dealing with hundreds of cases. Liberia has been hit hardest, recording 1,082 cases and 624 deaths.

In Liberia, a teenage boy died after being shot by security forces in West Point, a slum that was blockaded this week to stop the spread of Ebola, a Liberia government spokesman said Friday. Shakie Kamara was hurt in a clash with police and soldiers who sealed off their peninsula from the rest of Monrovia.

Days earlier in West Point, slum dwellers ransacked a holding center for Ebola patients after realizing that some patients had come from other parts of the city. Looters then made off with bloody sheets and mattresses that could spread the disease.

The government began distributing rice, some of it donated by the World Food Program, to alleviate food shortages a day after cordoning off the slum, said Information Minister Lewis Brown.

Some countries also continue to impose travel restrictions, even though they aren't recommended by the UN health agency.

On Friday, the Central African country of Gabon announced it was barring all flights and ships from Ebola-stricken countries. South Africa already announced a travel ban for non-citizens from these countries "unless the travel is considered absolutely essential." Senegal closed its borders with Guinea, and is barring air or sea travel from Sierra Leone and Liberia. Cameroon barred flights from Nigeria.

__

Paye-Layleh reported from Monrovia, Liberia. Associated Press writers Maram Mazan in Lagos, Nigeria; Babacar Dione in Dakar, Senegal; and Yves-Laurent Goma in Libreville, Gabon, contributed reporting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/2 ... 99062.html

Author:  niman [ Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Two More Confirmed Ebola Cases In Lagos - Contacts

Two patients, spouses of primary contacts contract Ebola

on August 23, 2014 / in Ebola Outbreak, News 2:29 am / Comments

ABUJA (AFP) – Nigeria said on Friday that two more people had tested positive for Ebola, taking the total number of confirmed cases of the deadly virus in the country to 14, including five deaths.

“Nigeria has now recorded the first two cases of Ebola Virus Disease in secondary contacts of the index case,” Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu told a news conference in Abuja.

“The two patients are spouses of primary contacts of the Liberian American,” the minister said, referring to Patrick Sawyer, who died in a private Lagos hospital on July 25.

Chukwu said the two new cases were the husband and the wife of two primary contacts who died of the disease.

“They were quarantined two days ago. But the other ones that were quarantined along with them have been released,” he added.

“Those on treatment (in isolation) currently are four — two primary contacts, two secondary contacts. Presently altogether we have 213 on surveillance.”

Six of the 213 are under watch in the eastern city of Enugu, where a nurse who had treated Sawyer travelled before falling sick and was returned to Lagos, the minister said.

Sawyer, a 40-year-old Liberian finance ministry consultant, was taken for treatment after arriving at Lagos airport visibly unwell on a flight from Monrovia.

Two doctors and two nurses who treated Sawyer, as well as an official from the West African regional bloc ECOWAS who picked him up from the airport died from the disease.

The World Health Organization said on Tuesday that it was encouraged by the situation in Nigeria, given that all of the confirmed cases came from a single chain of transmission.

Five people confirmed to have the virus have been “successfully managed and discharged”.

Ebola has killed 1,350 people this year, with most deaths in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/two- ... aBBDy.dpuf

Author:  niman [ Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Two More Confirmed Ebola Cases In Lagos - Contacts

As Ebola outbreak grows, WHO notes case-count difficulties
Filed Under: Ebola; VHF
Robert Roos | News Editor | CIDRAP News | Aug 22, 2014

Image
Ebola treatment center
CDC
As West Africa's Ebola toll climbed by another 142 cases and 77 deaths today, the World Health Organization (WHO) conceded that the size of the epidemic has been underestimated and cited a list of reasons for that, from concealment and denial of cases to the closing of treatment centers and clinics.

Also today, the WHO's Keiji Fukuda, MD, MPH, speaking at a press conference in Monrovia, Liberia, estimated it will take 6 to 9 months to bring the outbreak under control. He and a United Nations (UN) official promised to scale up WHO support for the Ebola-stricken countries.

Death toll tops 1,400
With the latest cases, reported on Aug 19 and 20, the WHO's Ebola virus disease (EVD) count reached 2,615, including 1,427 deaths. The numbers include confirmed, probable, and suspected cases.

Liberia accounted for most of the increase, with 110 new cases and 48 deaths, for a total of 1,082 cases and 624 fatalities, the WHO reported. Guinea cited 28 cases and 10 deaths, raising its totals to 607 and 406, while 3 new cases and 18 deaths in Sierra Leone raised the country's count to 910 cases and 392 deaths.

A report from Liberia's Ministry of Health and Social Welfare said today that EVD has hit 117 healthcare workers in the country, killing 63 of them.

The WHO report showed just one new case and one death in Nigeria, for a total there of 16 illnesses and 5 deaths.

Nigerian cases spark concern
Meanwhile, the media today reported two newly confirmed cases in Nigeria. A Reuters story said cases were confirmed in the spouses of a man and a woman who died of the disease after helping to care for the country's first Ebola case-patient, Patrick Sawyer, who died of EVD after flying to Nigeria from Liberia in July.

The story called the two new cases "an alarming development," because the patients are outside the group of caregivers who had direct contact with Sawyer. On Aug 19 the WHO said the 12 confirmed cases in Nigeria at that point all involved individuals who had contact with Sawyer.

The Reuters story said the new illnesses raise Nigeria's tally of confirmed cases to 14. Today's WHO update says that 12 of the 16 cases in Nigeria have been confirmed. Of the 14 confirmed cases, 5 patients have died, 5 have recovered, and 4 are still being treated, according to Reuters.

The WHO noted that it continues to hear of rumored and suspected Ebola cases around the world and that "systematic verification" of them is ongoing. No new EVD cases have been confirmed outside Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Nigeria.

In that vein, California officials announced late yesterday that a hospital patient in Sacramento tested negative for the disease. The patient had an illness that raised suspicion of EVD, but he or she was regarded as low risk on the basis of history and symptoms, officials said 2 days ago.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) tested a sample from the patient, with negative results, the California Department of Public Health said in a statement. The agency gave no details about the patient or his or her illness.

Why the epidemic has been underestimated
In a separate statement today, the WHO acknowledged that the scale of the Ebola epidemic has been underestimated and listed a number of factors that have made it hard to get an accurate assessment. The agency, which declared the epidemic an international public health emergency on Aug 8, has been accused of responding too slowly to the epidemic.

Some of the items the agency listed are not new. For example, it said many families hide sick loved ones at home, believing they can't be helped and will be more comfortable dying at home. Other families deny that a person has Ebola and fear that care in an isolation ward will lead to infection and death.

Other factors cited by the WHO:

Many treatment centers and general clinics have closed, as fear keeps patients away and causes staff members to flee
"In rural villages, corpses are buried without notifying health officials and with no investigation of the cause of death."
There are many villages with rumors of Ebola cases and deaths, but they can't be investigated because of community resistance or a lack of personnel vehicles. The WHO referred to these as "shadow zones."
The WHO also said that in parts of Liberia, newly opened treatment facilities have been immediately flooded with patients, many of whom were not previously identified. "This phenomenon strongly suggests the existence of an invisible caseload of patients who are not being detected by the surveillance system."

For example, a 20-bed Ebola treatment center in Monrovia opened last week and was immediately overwhelmed with more than 70 patients, the agency said.

WHO, UN promise more help
At the Monrovia press conference today, Fukuda of the WHO and David Nabarro, MD, of the UN sought to provide reassurance and promised more aid to West Africa. The two were wrapping up the first leg of a visit to all the affected West African countries, according to a UN statement.

Nabarro, senior UN System Coordinator for Ebola, told reporters at the end of his 2-day visit that more health workers will be brought to the country to deal with the outbreak, saying, "The United Nations is looking at ways to radically scale up support to fight Ebola," according to the UN statement.

The two officials promised that the WHO will provide 500 more treatment beds for Ebola patients in Monrovia within the next 6 weeks, according to a USA Today story today.

Fukuda, the WHO's assistant director-general for health security and environment, told reporters, "This is not a hopeless situation," the UN statement said. But he estimated it will take 6 to 9 months to tame the epidemic, according to USA Today. "We expect several months of very hard work," he said.

The two officials also said they would be increasing efforts to provide other medical care to Liberians and to support the nation's economy, the newspaper reported.

At the same press conference, Karin Landgren, special representative of the UN secretary-general and coordinator of UN operations in Liberia, said that UN peacekeepers were not involved in quarantining people because of Ebola, according to the UN statement.

CDC chief to visit West Africa
In other developments, the Associated Press (AP) reported that CDC Director Tom Frieden, MD, MPH, plans to visit West Africa to get a firsthand look at the Ebola situation. He will visit Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea next week.

Frieden wants to meet African and international health leaders fighting the epidemic and to hear what help they need, the story said. He also plans to visit hospitals treating Ebola patients.

See also:

Aug 22 WHO update

Aug 22 Liberian health ministry report

Aug 22 Reuters story on Nigerian cases

Aug 21 CDPH statement

Aug 22 WHO statement on factors in underestimation of epidemic

Aug 22 UN statement on press conference

Aug 22USA Today story

Aug 22 AP story on Frieden visit

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspect ... fficulties

Author:  alforddm [ Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Two More Confirmed Ebola Cases In Lagos - Contacts

Quote:
“They were quarantined two days ago. But the other ones that were quarantined along with them have been released,” he added.


I'm hoping they were quarantined separately and not together? That statement makes it sound like they were all quarantined together.

Just the same facility.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/