Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:38 pm 

If i was living in Africa and i had money, i would take a plane for another continent as soon as i can, and i would do it as fast as i can if i was in an infected area.

If i was unlucky enough to be infected without knowing it, with an incubation period around 21 days, i could possibly bring the disease anywhere in the world.

So if i'm not yet sick, i would not be detected by airport/border control. I will then spread the disease in my new location...

So it seem to me likely that Ebola will spread outside Africa.

What measures should countries should take to prevent this ?

Do the welfare of Airlines more important than the live of the human beings ?

Comments ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:11 pm 

voltardark wrote:
If i was living in Africa and i had money, i would take a plane for another continent as soon as i can, and i would do it as fast as i can if i was in an infected area.

If i was unlucky enough to be infected without knowing it, with an incubation period around 21 days, i could possibly bring the disease anywhere in the world.

So if i'm not yet sick, i would not be detected by airport/border control. I will then spread the disease in my new location...

So it seem to me likely that Ebola will spread outside Africa.

What measures should countries should take to prevent this ?

Do the welfare of Airlines more important than the live of the human beings ?

Comments ?

Welcome to the Flutracker!

Although the long incubation times helps get the virus out of Africa, its limited transmissibility will keep spread under control. Most of the high profile cases have been linked to nosocomial transmission. The only confirmed cases flying out of Africa or those Medavac'ed to Atlanta or Madrid.

Confirmed airport transmission out of western African has remained in Africa (Nigeria).

The best out of Africa example is Jeddah from Sierra Leone, but that appears to be via military air ambulance delivering medicines.

So far transmission to Mexico has been denied and not confirmed.

MERS transmits much more easily than Ebola, but there is little evidence for significant onward transmssion. Virtually all onward transmission was to family or HCWs and transmission was not sustained.