Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
10TV.com @10TV · 12m
BREAKING NEWS: Columbus Public Health confirms one person, who recently traveled to West Africa, is being tested for the Ebola virus.
ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 96 times96 FavoriteFavorited 8 times8
More
Retweeted by 10TV.com
Gretchen Walsh @Gretchen10TV · 14m
BREAKING: @10TV just confirmed a local hospital patient is being tested for Ebola. Details on 10TV News at Noon and http://10TV.com

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
niman wrote:
10TV.com @10TV · 12m
BREAKING NEWS: Columbus Public Health confirms one person, who recently traveled to West Africa, is being tested for the Ebola virus.
ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 96 times96 FavoriteFavorited 8 times8
More
Retweeted by 10TV.com
Gretchen Walsh @Gretchen10TV · 14m
BREAKING: @10TV just confirmed a local hospital patient is being tested for Ebola. Details on 10TV News at Noon and http://10TV.com

UPDATE: ODH has confirmed test results are NEGATIVE for a person being tested for the #Ebola virus in Columbus. Via @10TV

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
NEW YORK - (AP) -- A man admitted to Mount Sinai Medical Center with a high fever and gastrointestinal symptoms after a trip to West Africa probably does not have Ebola, New York City's health commissioner said Tuesday.
Dr. Mary Bassett said it's "highly unlikely" the man has Ebola even though he recently traveled to a country where the virus has been reported, adding that she would await test results from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The man was ill when he arrived at Mount Sinai early Monday.
"I think what we learned from this is that people who are potentially infected with Ebola are rapidly identified (and) actions are taken rapidly to be sure that they are isolated and receive help," Bassett said.
The CDC has said three Americans in the United States were tested for Ebola since the West African outbreak erupted this year and those results were negative.
Officials at U.S. airports are watching travelers from Africa for flu-like symptoms that could be tied to the outbreak.
The Ebola virus causes a hemorrhagic fever that has sickened more than 1,600 people, killing nearly 900 mostly in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone. It's spread through direct contact with bodily fluids. A person exposed to the virus can take up to 21 days to exhibit symptoms, making it possible for infected travelers to enter the U.S. without knowing they have it.
Two American aid workers who were infected with Ebola in Africa are being treated in an isolation unit at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta.

http://www.newsday.com/news/region-stat ... -1.8969330

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Experimental Ebola drug may have helped 2 US patients
Filed Under: Ebola
Robert Roos | News Editor | CIDRAP News | Aug 05, 2014

As the second of two Americans fighting Ebola virus disease (EVD) returned to the United States from Liberia today, reports suggested that an experimental drug they received may have helped them.

Nancy Writebol, a hygienist who was working at an Ebola hospital in Liberia, arrived at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta this afternoon, according to CBS News. She received two doses of the drug while in Liberia, and she can now walk with help and has regained her appetite, the story said.

The drug, a mixture of three monoclonal antibodies, has also been given to Keith Brantly, MD, of the Christian organization Samaritan's Purse, according to reports. He was flown back to the United States Aug 2 and is also being treated at Emory. Reports yesterday said Brantly's condition was improving.

In other developments, Ebola test results were being awaited for a patient in Columbus, Ohio, and one in Saudi Arabia, according to media and government reports. Also, the World Bank Group pledged to provide up to $200 million to help Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea fight the virus, while British Airways said it is suspending service to Liberia and Sierra Leone because of the EVD epidemic.

Antibody cocktail
The decision to treat the two Americans with the experimental drug stemmed from an inquiry from Samaritan's Purse to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about possible treatments, according to a Washington Post story. The CDC put the group in touch with National Institutes of Health (NIH) workers in Liberia who were aware of tests of the drug in monkeys.

Within a few days, doses of the drug were flown in from the United States and given to Brantly and Writebol, according to the Post. A spokesman for SIM, or Service in Mission, the Christian group that employs Writebol, told the newspaper that her condition seemed to stabilize after she was treated on Jul 31.

The drug is a mixture of three monoclonal antibodies that targets parts of the Ebola Zaire virus, according to a Canadian Press report today. Two of the antibodies were developed by the Public Health Agency of Canada and one is a product of the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, the story said.

The drug is called ZMapp and is made by Mapp Biopharmaceutical of San Diego, according to the Canadian Press. It said ZMapp has not been tested in humans, but tests in monkeys look promising. Genetically engineered tobacco plants are used to produce the antibodies.

A spokesman for Reynolds American, parent of a Kentucky company that developed the tobacco plants, said the Food and Drug Administration permitted use of the product under "investigational new drug" rules.

Potential cases in Saudi Arabia, US
Meanwhile, an ABC News report today said the CDC has tested six people for Ebola, one of whom is a 46-year-old woman in Columbus, Ohio, who was hospitalized several days ago after a trip to one of the affected African countries. The story said she is doing well now. It provided no details on the other patients.

There was no word yet on the Ebola test results for a patient at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, but the city's health department said in a statement that the diagnosis was unlikely.

In Saudi Arabia, the Ministry of Health reported that a 40-year-old man who got sick after a trip to Sierra Leone is being bested for Ebola. The ministry said he presented at a Jeddah hospital last night with symptoms of a viral hemorrhagic fever and is now in isolation in a tertiary care center. A preliminary test for dengue virus was negative.

$200 million donation
In Washington, DC, the World Bank Group announced yesterday it would provide up to $200 million to help Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone control Ebola, cope with the disease's economic impact, and strengthen public health systems.

World Bank Group President Dr. Jim Yong Kim, a medical doctor experienced in treatment of infectious diseases, said the new pledge was in response to a plea for assistance from the three countries and the World Health Organization, according to a World Bank press release.

"I am very worried that many more lives are at risk unless we can stop this Ebola epidemic in its tracks," Kimsaid in the release.

And in another development, British Airways announced today it is suspending service to Liberia and Sierra Leone until Aug 31 "due to the deteriorating public health situation in both countries."

See also:

Aug 5 CBS News story

Aug 4 Washington Post story

Aug 5 Canadian Press story

Aug 5 ABC News story

Aug 5 Saudi Ministry of Health statement

Aug 4 World Bank Group press release

Aug 5 British Airways announcement (see "Summary" list)

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspect ... s-patients

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
NEW YORK (KRON) — Authorities have cleared a flight that was held at New York’s JFK Airport because of concerns that an infant might have contracted the Ebola virus.

CNN is reporting the infant on the flight from Abu Dhabi began to cough up blood when the flight arrived in New York.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention held passengers on the flight while evacuating the child.
The passengers were then allowed to get off the plane.
Abu Dhabi, in the United Arab Emirates, is not considered a place at high risk for transmission of Ebola.
Stay tuned to KRON 4, the KRON 4 Mobile App, and KRON4.com for the latest on this developing story.

http://news.kron4.com/news/breaking-new ... k-airport/

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 2:59 pm
Posts: 49
Paranoia is spreading amongst the uneducated and ill-informed. It's beginning to sound like the 1980's when word first got around about HIV-AIDS and old white people thought you could get it from shaking hands with blacks and homosexuals.

One of the House Republicans from the Crazy Caucus was saying at a town hall meeting that some of those Honduran kids who've been turning up in South Texas could be carriers of Ebola.

If the case in Jeddah is confirmed I wonder if filthy rich KSA will want to have that guy flown to Emory too. See if that sparks any protests or a riot if it happened.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
topliss wrote:
Paranoia is spreading amongst the uneducated and ill-informed. It's beginning to sound like the 1980's when word first got around about HIV-AIDS and old white people thought you could get it from shaking hands with blacks and homosexuals.

One of the House Republicans from the Crazy Caucus was saying at a town hall meeting that some of those Honduran kids who've been turning up in South Texas could be carriers of Ebola.

If the case in Jeddah is confirmed I wonder if filthy rich KSA will want to have that guy flown to Emory too. See if that sparks any protests or a riot if it happened.

He also said they might have SMALLPOX (and he's an MD)!

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
niman wrote:
topliss wrote:
Paranoia is spreading amongst the uneducated and ill-informed. It's beginning to sound like the 1980's when word first got around about HIV-AIDS and old white people thought you could get it from shaking hands with blacks and homosexuals.

One of the House Republicans from the Crazy Caucus was saying at a town hall meeting that some of those Honduran kids who've been turning up in South Texas could be carriers of Ebola.

If the case in Jeddah is confirmed I wonder if filthy rich KSA will want to have that guy flown to Emory too. See if that sparks any protests or a riot if it happened.

He also said they might have SMALLPOX (and he's an MD)!

Smallpox was a few weeks ago

Also note that the congressman (worried about Ebola in Central America and SMALLPOX in CDC & Russian freezers being raided by unaccompanied immigrant children) has an MD degree!

http://gingrey.house.gov/

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 56044
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
New York hospital patient tests negative for Ebola
The Associated Press
August 6, 2014 Updated 1 minute ago

NEW YORK — Health officials in New York City say a man who recently visited West Africa and had a high fever and gastrointestinal symptoms does not have the Ebola virus.

Mount Sinai Hospital said Wednesday that the man tested negative for the deadly disease that has erupted in West Africa.

The man was ill when he arrived at Mount Sinai Hospital early Monday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says three Americans in the United States have been tested for Ebola since the outbreak was first reported. Those results were negative.

Officials at U.S. airports are watching travelers from Africa for flu-like symptoms that could be linked to Ebola.

The Ebola virus causes a severe fever. It has sickened more than 1,600 people and killed nearly 900 since the outbreak erupted.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2014/08/06/3604 ... rylink=cpy

_________________
www.twitter.com/hniman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 2:59 pm
Posts: 49
niman wrote:
niman wrote:
topliss wrote:
Paranoia is spreading amongst the uneducated and ill-informed. It's beginning to sound like the 1980's when word first got around about HIV-AIDS and old white people thought you could get it from shaking hands with blacks and homosexuals.

One of the House Republicans from the Crazy Caucus was saying at a town hall meeting that some of those Honduran kids who've been turning up in South Texas could be carriers of Ebola.

If the case in Jeddah is confirmed I wonder if filthy rich KSA will want to have that guy flown to Emory too. See if that sparks any protests or a riot if it happened.

He also said they might have SMALLPOX (and he's an MD)!

Smallpox was a few weeks ago

Also note that the congressman (worried about Ebola in Central America and SMALLPOX in CDC & Russian freezers being raided by unaccompanied immigrant children) has an MD degree!

http://gingrey.house.gov/


Just when the paranoia couldn't get stranger I saw this story from three days ago:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2714832/Terrorists-use-Ebola-create-dirty-bomb-kill-large-numbers-UK-says-Cambridge-University-disease-expert.html

So some Jihadi could get infected with Ebola then travel to Europe to strap on a suicide bomber belt and blow themselves up in a crowded public place. Plausible or not?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 62 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group