Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: ASK DR. NIMAN
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:32 pm 

alforddm wrote:
Ahhhh, I see. Thank you very much for the clarification. How long would the Passive immunization provide protection? Probably isn't known at this point? Why hasn't this been attempted in HCW? Seems like some protection would be better than nothing?

Sorry for all the questions.

There has been speculation that the passive antibodies would last for 10 years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:22 am 

If there is Passive Protection and the ability to prime the body (so to speak) for making it's own antibodies, the healthcare workers, as they work with the Ebola patients, if they happen to get exposed to the actual virus, would it not stand to reason that they would likely be more able to fight off the infection, and then be able to donate their own antibodies to the next person in need? I know it is not perfect, but isnt it worth trying?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:44 pm 

I wasn't paying much attention to the spread of MERS until last spring, and I thought perhaps we wouldn't see much of a resurgence until next spring, because of the seasonal pattern of infections.

Were there anywhere near as many cases of MERS being reported at this time last year?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:53 pm 

KDen wrote:
I wasn't paying much attention to the spread of MERS until last spring, and I thought perhaps we wouldn't see much of a resurgence until next spring, because of the seasonal pattern of infections.

Were there anywhere near as many cases of MERS being reported at this time last year?

MERS, like SARS, has peak activity in the Spring. However, nosocomial infections like the Al Hasa outbreak in 2013 or the Jeddah outbreak in the spring of 2014, can lead to larger than usual spikes.

There seems to be a nosocomial outbreak in Taif, which may be adding to the numbers, but the number of locations reporting cases in the past few weeks raises concerns that the level of MERS in KSA continues to increase year over year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:44 pm 

Dr. Niman, can you clear something up about the Fujian clade 2.3.4? Are the current outbreaks of H5N8 and H5N2 the first times Fujian has been associated with subtypes other than H5N1?

If this is, what do the relatively recent emergence of these two novel(?) viruses tell us about the evolution of the HPAI H5 viruses?

I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:56 pm 

wotan wrote:
Dr. Niman, can you clear something up about the Fujian clade 2.3.4? Are the current outbreaks of H5N8 and H5N2 the first times Fujian has been associated with subtypes other than H5N1?

If this is, what do the relatively recent emergence of these two novel(?) viruses tell us about the evolution of the HPAI H5 viruses?

Fujian H5 has been seen as H5N1, H5N2, H5N5, H5N6, and H5N8 but Canada is the first time it has reassorted with North American genes (there are 3 including N2 in Fraser Valley).

H5N8 spread out of Asia for the first reported time when it appeared in Europe (Germany, Netherlands, England) last month.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:58 pm 

niman wrote:
wotan wrote:

Fujian H5 has been seen as H5N1, H5N2, H5N5, H5N6, and H5N8 but Canada is the first time it has reassorted with North American genes (there are 3 including N2 in Fraser Valley).

H5N8 spread out of Asia for the first reported time when it appeared in Europe (Germany, Netherlands, England) last month.

Thank you.

I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:22 am 

Anyone out there? Is this forum still functioning?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21