Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:13 pm 

On the local news tonight there was a story about a liquid Tamiflu shortage in the area. Among the things they mentioned they said local ERs are seeing patient volumes similar to January.

I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:44 pm 

wotan wrote:
On the local news tonight there was a story about a liquid Tamiflu shortage in the area. Among the things they mentioned they said local ERs are seeing patient volumes similar to January.

This is nationwide I believe. Also, what is weird is Armour Thyroid, which is made from pigs is all backordered ,too. Kind of off the subject, but my mom has taken it for 40 years and so have a few friends. Odd, nothing with the pigs and safety, right.
What gets me mad, is they knew this was coming, so why was there not enough made and stored as they knew children were the big carriers. I do not get it. So now, they want pharmacists to grind up the capsules and compound it, ok, that works. Not.
What is going on in Texas anyway. Do you have bad weather? Did you have a lull during the summer. We never did here in California. How many childrens deaths in Texas since this volume compared to the number being infected. How do we find that out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:53 pm 

ms4920 wrote:
wotan wrote:

What gets me mad, is they knew this was coming, so why was there not enough made and stored as they knew children were the big carriers. I do not get it. So now, they want pharmacists to grind up the capsules and compound it, ok, that works. Not.
What is going on in Texas anyway. Do you have bad weather? Did you have a lull during the summer. We never did here in California. How many childrens deaths in Texas since this volume compared to the number being infected. How do we find that out.

I think the global production capacity of Tamiflu (any form) is 600 million doses. The liquid form is the a powdered version of the medicine that has to be reconstituted and only lasts 10 days after reconstitution. The version my wife and I had was a capsule, so in those cases the capsule can be broken open and mixed with water. I don't know how many doses were used up this Spring. And of course I am sure the stockpiles were not designed around widespread pediatric outbreaks. Let's face it, most of the pandemic plans we put together, as a nation, were misguided (but at least we made anattempt). We all expected something to strike out of SE Asia with a vengeance, ignoring the history of waves, etc. So probably we stockpiled too much adult Tamiflu and not enough pediatric (in proportion to each other).

I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:57 pm 

wotan wrote:
ms4920 wrote:
wotan wrote:

I think the global production capacity of Tamiflu (any form) is 600 million doses. The liquid form is the a powdered version of the medicine that has to be reconstituted and only lasts 10 days after reconstitution. The version my wife and I had was a capsule, so in those cases the capsule can be broken open and mixed with water. I don't know how many doses were used up this Spring. And of course I am sure the stockpiles were not designed around widespread pediatric outbreaks. Let's face it, most of the pandemic plans we put together, as a nation, were misguided (but at least we made anattempt). We all expected something to strike out of SE Asia with a vengeance, ignoring the history of waves, etc. So probably we stockpiled too much adult Tamiflu and not enough pediatric (in proportion to each other).

I am sorry, I been in Pharmacy too long. This always happens to kids. They always forget about them or do not care. So how many deaths have occurred in children since this huge outbreak in Texas. Cases vs deaths.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:16 am 

Student With Swine Flu Critical
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/health/ ... _flu_staph
Updated: Thursday, 24 Sep 2009, 9:40 PM CDT

HOUSTON - At Beck Junior High School in Katy, it was "Wear Green Day,” honoring a dear friend who's life is in danger.

Billy Cary is 13. He’s been hit so hard by the swine flu and complications that after a week in the hospital, it's an improvement to say he's in critical condition.

“It's as scary as it gets,” Cary’s dad said. “When he got the flu, it went to his lungs. He got a bacterial infection as well as pneumonia. The bacteria was so bad he went into septic shock”

Cary's now on a ventilator and a kidney dialysis machine.

And his dad says he never thought the swine flu was any big deal.

“This virus is different from the seasonal flu viruses,” Dr. Norris Payne said.

Payne is a longtime Houston pediatrician on the front lines of this epidemic. He says his patients seem to get sicker from the virus now than they did in the spring--and he sees evidence that it's attacking healthy young children and adults.

“The other viruses don't turn a healthy great immune system into a dagger against you,” he said.

Payne is concerned that because the Center for Disease Control and Prevention has said the H1N1 virus is relatively mild, parents may wait too long to get treatment.

He says the anti-virals work 99 percent of the time, but they have to be taken within a day or two of the first symptoms.

Meanwhile, the Katy community sends Cary much needed love, and his dad says he sees the power of their prayer.

H1N1 is now widespread across Texas.

City and County Health officials on Thursday warned that too many people are seeking treatment for the swine flu who don’t actually need it. Area emergency rooms are being “strained” with sick people seeking a solution.

“These are folks that probably don't need to be there," said Dr. David Persse, Houston’s Health Authority. “Most people if they get ill will be able to take care of themselves at home without any difficulty,” he said.

Health officials say if you’re in one of the high risk priority groups you should seek a doctor’s advice.

The group includes children under two, the elderly, pregnant women, health care workers, and those with compromised immune systems.

The first batch of the swine flu vaccine will be ready early next month.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:22 pm 

Tex wrote:
Student With Swine Flu Critical
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/health/ ... _flu_staph
Updated: Thursday, 24 Sep 2009, 9:40 PM CDT

HOUSTON - At Beck Junior High School in Katy, it was "Wear Green Day,” honoring a dear friend who's life is in danger.

Billy Cary is 13. He’s been hit so hard by the swine flu and complications that after a week in the hospital, it's an improvement to say he's in critical condition.

“It's as scary as it gets,” Cary’s dad said. “When he got the flu, it went to his lungs. He got a bacterial infection as well as pneumonia. The bacteria was so bad he went into septic shock”

Cary's now on a ventilator and a kidney dialysis machine.

And his dad says he never thought the swine flu was any big deal.

“This virus is different from the seasonal flu viruses,” Dr. Norris Payne said.

Payne is a longtime Houston pediatrician on the front lines of this epidemic. He says his patients seem to get sicker from the virus now than they did in the spring--and he sees evidence that it's attacking healthy young children and adults.

“The other viruses don't turn a healthy great immune system into a dagger against you,” he said.

Payne is concerned that because the Center for Disease Control and Prevention has said the H1N1 virus is relatively mild, parents may wait too long to get treatment.

He says the anti-virals work 99 percent of the time, but they have to be taken within a day or two of the first symptoms.

Meanwhile, the Katy community sends Cary much needed love, and his dad says he sees the power of their prayer.

H1N1 is now widespread across Texas.

City and County Health officials on Thursday warned that too many people are seeking treatment for the swine flu who don’t actually need it. Area emergency rooms are being “strained” with sick people seeking a solution.

“These are folks that probably don't need to be there," said Dr. David Persse, Houston’s Health Authority. “Most people if they get ill will be able to take care of themselves at home without any difficulty,” he said.

Health officials say if you’re in one of the high risk priority groups you should seek a doctor’s advice.

The group includes children under two, the elderly, pregnant women, health care workers, and those with compromised immune systems.

The first batch of the swine flu vaccine will be ready early next month.

Well, lets see, first you have the one Pedi, that says it is worse than spring and getting worse, then you have the other MD who says you do not need to worry.
So what do you think peoples instincts with children are going to be. They are going to the ER. So the media, better figure out how they write before they put this in the news. I think we have a problem here, what do you think?