Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:42 am 

Dr. Niman if you could predict when do you think this will peak and what do you think the chances of this to get worse?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:03 pm 

ms4920 wrote:
Dr. Niman if you could predict when do you think this will peak and what do you think the chances of this to get worse?

It will definitely get worse until the vaccine can have an effect in November / December, but by then the virus could have changed (and be vaccine resistant) and tamiflu resistance could be more widespread. Seasonal flu peaks in February, but swine flu is not behaving like seasonal flu.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:56 pm 

niman wrote:
ms4920 wrote:
I think this young man had underlying conditions. They will not discuss, but I bet if he did not it would be all over the news.
College Students think this cannot happen to them. I guess if enough of them die they will pay attention. The kids are so independent these days. Well, if they are old enough to vote, go to military, then take your brains and read what the hell is going on.
I feel bad, but when I read statements from students that say, oh it is not that bad, or we are growing tails, or I should have not have drank off that glass. Then, oh well.
I am sick of their attitudes. I have kids that have the same attitudes and get mad when I tell them to wash their hands and take precautions. They just laugh. Well the last laugh will be on them and it will kill me, but I tried.

The news actually goes the other way on underlying conditions. Thus, minor underlying conditions which probably have little to do with the death are mentioned in press releases. The absence of any mention of underlying conditions likely means there were none (or at least none that have been indentified thus far).

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/articles/20 ... 623216.txt

Once again, we jumped the gun. What are we doing here. The article specifically stated in the first sentence about pre existing conditions. This was the case, apparently. Please, Please, lets find out before blasting this web site with the worst case. I know there is alot out there, but we really need to do research first, correct. That is what we do, right?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:33 am 

by my count the media label of "underlying conditions" seems to include everyone but two or three people in the united states.....overweight, asthma, diabetes, any lung condition.......auto immune disorders....isn't that just about everybody?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:13 am 

Sad story

Last edited by CML on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:38 am 

7out wrote:
by my count the media label of "underlying conditions" seems to include everyone but two or three people in the united states.....overweight, asthma, diabetes, any lung condition.......auto immune disorders....isn't that just about everybody?

Regardless, Dr. Niman specifically put the trend was no underlying. The family did not want to disucuss. I do not care what it is but he said NONE. Asthma is a biggy, I know, cause I had it. No not everyone has problems, certain ones do.
All I was asking for is to do our research first. Thats all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:37 am 

ms4920 wrote:
7out wrote:

Regardless, Dr. Niman specifically put the trend was no underlying. The family did not want to disucuss. I do not care what it is but he said NONE. Asthma is a biggy, I know, cause I had it. No not everyone has problems, certain ones do.

The Cornell University student from Northern Dutchess who died after contracting swine flu did not have an underlying medical condition, a hospital spokesman said Sunday.

The Freeman, quoting the Web site of WCBS-TV, Channel 2, reported Sunday that Cayuga Medical Center in Ithaca had confirmed that 20-year-old Warren J. Schor of Clinton Corners had a separate medical problem in addition to swine flu.

"That's not true," said John Turner, vice president for public relations at the hospital. "He died from complications from H1N1."

Schor had been hospitalized since Sept. 3 after being admitted with flu symptoms, but the presence of the H1N1, or swine flu, virus was not finally confirmed until Thursday, Turner said. Schor died the next day.

Schor was a sophomore at Cornell and was majoring in economics and management in the university’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. He lived in a fraternity house on campus, according to the Ithaca Journal.

More than 500 students at Cornell have reported experiencing flu-like symptoms since the new school year began earlier this month. Turner said Schor was the only one to be hospitalized to date.

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/articles/20 ... 978438.txt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:21 am 

niman wrote:
ms4920 wrote:
7out wrote:

The Cornell University student from Northern Dutchess who died after contracting swine flu did not have an underlying medical condition, a hospital spokesman said Sunday.

The Freeman, quoting the Web site of WCBS-TV, Channel 2, reported Sunday that Cayuga Medical Center in Ithaca had confirmed that 20-year-old Warren J. Schor of Clinton Corners had a separate medical problem in addition to swine flu.

"That's not true," said John Turner, vice president for public relations at the hospital. "He died from complications from H1N1."

Schor had been hospitalized since Sept. 3 after being admitted with flu symptoms, but the presence of the H1N1, or swine flu, virus was not finally confirmed until Thursday, Turner said. Schor died the next day.

Schor was a sophomore at Cornell and was majoring in economics and management in the university’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. He lived in a fraternity house on campus, according to the Ithaca Journal.

More than 500 students at Cornell have reported experiencing flu-like symptoms since the new school year began earlier this month. Turner said Schor was the only one to be hospitalized to date.

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/articles/20 ... 978438.txt

My personal opinion is he did and the parents do not want anyone to know what. It is weird the PR person says it now and initially it was the MD. Something does not sit right. But whatever, it does not matter, he is dead. RIP.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:53 am 

ms4920 wrote:
ms4920 wrote:
My personal opinion is he did and the parents do not want anyone to know what. It is weird the PR person says it now and initially it was the MD. Something does not sit right. But whatever, it does not matter, he is dead. RIP.

Mmmm... Your "personal opinon" counts as "research" ?

What matters is that we document these cases of death accurately so that we and future generation will learn from this history.