Rhiza Labs FluTracker Forum

The place to discuss the flu
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Georgia (USA)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:28 am 

Three Camden County schools see spike in students reporting flu symptoms

OFFICIALS WITH CAMDEN County schools are surprised by the number of children being sent home with fevers, coughs and sniffles. Most expect to see flu symptoms in February rather than August. (Special to the Tribune & Georgian)
by Ellen Robinson
Published: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:29 AM EDT
The long lines of feverish children stacking up outside of school nurse stations across the county look more like what officials expect to see in February rather than in August, says Elaine Smiley, director of Camden County Schools Health Services.

So far there are no confirmed cases of swine flu in any Camden County schools, but the general flu, known has Type A Influenza, has already taken a strong hold in some schools. The alarmingly high number of children that are experiencing symptoms this early in the school year has officials bracing for a difficult flu season, according to Smiley.

Camden County Schools posted a message online and the most impacted schools sent letters home on Monday encouraging parents to keep sick children away from school. Inside the schools, nurses are putting an emphasis on good hand-washing techniques and other standard prevention measures in an effort to help curb the further spread of illnesses throughout the school system.

"The number of children being sent home is not typical for this time of year. This is looking more like what we see during the peak of flu season," said Smiley. "We've had a few confirmed cases of the flu, so as with any illness, we know there are more cases out there than what has actually been confirmed."

On Monday, 26 Camden Middle School students were sent home with fevers of 100 degrees Farenheight or higher. The number of children being affected with flu-like symptoms has triggered an investigation by the Camden County Health Department.

"They are looking into the cases to see if there is a common ground that can be pinpointed with the spread of the illnesses that we are seeing at Camden Middle," Smiley said. "There seems to be illness spreading in the student populations in the northern populations, but for some reason not at Woodbine Elementary School. It's been quiet so far up there."

A total of 122 Camden County High School students visited the school nurse's office and several of those were sent home because they were displaying flu-like symptoms on Monday, she said.

There are also two elementary schools - Mamie Lou Gross Elementary and St. Marys Elementary - that reported sending home a high number of students home after they were confirmed to have flu-like symptoms. Mamie Lou Gross Elementary off Harrietts Bluff Road has been reporting fevers and St. Marys Elementary students are suffering from stomach symptoms.

"When I spoke with the office at Mamie Lou Gross Elementary, they had 12 students waiting to see the school nurse at that moment," Smiley said. "There have been a lot of fevers hitting these schools very hard."

The policy for schools is to send children home when they are experiencing a fever of 100 degrees or higher. Smiley said the 100-degree mark typically indicates a person is contagious.

http://www.tribune-georgian.com/article ... ry8.19.txt

Last edited by Josh Knauer on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
set sticky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:36 am 

niman wrote:
Three Camden County schools see spike in students reporting flu symptoms

So far there are no confirmed cases of swine flu in any Camden County schools, but the general flu, known has Type A Influenza, has already taken a strong hold in some schools. The alarmingly high number of children that are experiencing symptoms this early in the school year has officials bracing for a difficult flu season, according to Smiley.

http://www.tribune-georgian.com/article ... ry8.19.txt

Influenza A ("Type A Infleunza")in NJ in August is SWINE FLU (NOT "general flu"_.

Last edited by niman on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:39 am 

I think this is actually Florida. The newspaper appears to be in Georgia.

I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:42 am 

All right I think this is where it is, Camden County Georgia, which is just north of the Florida line:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Camden,+Georgia&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.724817,77.607422&ie=UTF8&cd=3&geocode=FWR41wEdTtQi-w&split=0&ll=30.944636,-81.44165&spn=2.350771,4.850464&z=8

Post subject: Georgia (USA)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:45 am 

http://www2.wjbf.com/jbf/news/state_regional/georgia/article/mcduffie_county_schools_confirm_three_cases_of_swine_flu/18548/

Quote:
McDuffie County Schools have 3 confirmed cases of the H1N1 (swine flu) among their student population. Officials say the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the McDuffie County Board of Health and local physicians are working together to ensure the safest measures are followed for all citizens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:54 am 

wotan wrote:
I think this is actually Florida. The newspaper appears to be in Georgia.

I have edited the title. The schools are in Georgia. The title on the main page should also be chnaged from New Jersey to Georgia.

Last edited by niman on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:17 pm 

wotan wrote:

These cases are in St Marys and Kingsland (right on the border with FL and just north of Jacksonville). They are in the database (down to the street address) and will be at this zoomed view when the map is updated

http://flutracker.rhizalabs.com/flu/gma ... 125&zoom=9

Last edited by niman on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:22 pm 

Cool, so is this helping already?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:29 pm 

wotan wrote:
Cool, so is this helping already?

Yes, this type of interaction quickly clears things up, and a board like this gets the comments posted in the correct place. I will be putting up a number of zoomed views of the map. In this case there are only 2 cases listed for Camden County, and Georgia stopped reporting cases on July 15. The maps with the schools (list by school address) will make it VERY clear where some of the outbreaks are concentrated.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:42 pm 

I have heard a RUMOR and this is just a rumor, that patients are not responding to Tamiflu in this outbreak. Anyone else hear anything?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next